AirPacific747
Topic Author

Airbus "Land Mode"

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 am

Can someone please tell me exactly what it does. I know it becomes active below 400 ft AGL when the AP is engaged. But what exactly does it mean?

Please only serious answers and no guesses. Thank you  

Starlionblue

RE: Airbus "Land Mode"

Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:53 am

AFAIK There is no "land mode" in the flight control logic. However I think there is in the autopilot logic (not quite the same thing).

There is "flare mode", which is a variation of Normal Law. The other two variations are "ground mode" and "flight mode".

Flare mode:
- Transition to flare mode occurs at 50' RA during landing.
- System memorizes pitch attitude at 50' and begins to progressively reduce pitch, forcing pilot to flare the aircraft
- In the event of a go-around, transition to flight mode occurs again at 50' RA.

Source: http://www.airbusdriver.net/airbus_fltlaws.htm . You should read this page.

[Edited 2011-09-28 02:54:23]

Edited to prevent unfounded statements. Big grin

[Edited 2011-09-28 02:55:11]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:00 am

There is something called "Land Mode" and it becomes active on the FMA at 400ft AGL. I found it described very briefly in FCOM 1 part 1, where it says:

"Land mode is engaged below 400 feet RA." If you have the FCOM, try looking at 1.22.30 P73

Edit: I think we are misunderstanding each other a bit.   Sorry about the confusion. I am talking about AP/FD modes shown on the FMA and controlled by the FMGS I presume. And if I understand it correctly, the modes you are refering to are the ones controlled by the FACs.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 1):

AFAIK There is no "land mode" in the flight control logic. However I think there is in the autopilot logic (not quite the same thing).

Yes.. once again sorry about the confusion.

[Edited 2011-09-28 03:19:37]

[Edited 2011-09-28 03:20:12]

[Edited 2011-09-28 03:22:56]

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:08 am

OK, I think I found it. I am not sure if this is the entire explanation, but otherwise I don't know where to find the rest.

Found in FCOM 4 02.30 P 2:

LAND MANAGED Common mode engaged below 400ft RA during an automatic ILS approach.

Engaged, only if LOC mode and G/S mode are already engaged.

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:15 pm

I found some more info in FCOM 1.22.30 P52, if anyone else on this forum will ever need the same information that I was looking for, then here you go:

LAND MODE

Engagement conditions:

LAND mode automatically engages when the LOC and the G/S modes are engaged, and the aircraft is below 400 feet RA. The FMA displays "LAND", indicating that LOC and G/S are locked. No action on the FCU will disengage LAND mode. Flare and ROLL OUT modes will successively engage.

Disengagement conditions:

LAND mode disengages:

-Upon engagement of the go-around mode ;
-If the pilot presses the APPR pushbutton, when the aircraft has been on the ground for at least 10 seconds with the autopilot disconnected.

NOTE: When LAND is not displayed on the FMA, at/or slightly below 400 feet, the landing capability degrades to CAT1 and the triple click is generated. No autoland is authorize with CAT1 displayed on the FMA.