Northwest727
Topic Author

Engine Manufacturer's Logos On Nacelles

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Just curious as to what determines whether an airline puts engine manufacturer's logos on the nacelles; do airlines who do so get any sort of compensation or cheaper replacement parts, or it is just purely a pride thing? "Powered by Rolls Royce" or "GE Jet Power," etc...

HAWK21M

RE: Engine Manufacturer's Logos On Nacelles

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Its just a Decal that Identifies the Engine which is optional.
The RR ones look great though....
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Yukon880

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:58 pm

Personally, I think it a shame that the display of the engine logo is no longer in vogue.
A few notable exceptions not withstanding. Whether it be the desire for a uniform (plain)
appearance across the fleet, or simple oblivion that such things matter to some, who knows?
Perhaps it's just the economics of having to purchase the decal to affix to the nacelle,
and it's not like airlines these days have much 'mad money' for such whimsical things!

Truth be told, I am more than just a little biased. Safe to say my objectivity on the topic
is seriously challenged and I blame it all on the past!
 Wink
Big version: Width: 1200 Height: 851 File size: 163kb

[Edited 2011-10-18 06:15:52]
Pratt & Whitney, In thrust we trust!

soon7x7

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Funny you bring this up...I was just wondering the same the other day? Guess it is politically not correct as the other manufacturers might be "offended".

Starlionblue

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 pm

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 3):
Guess it is politically not correct as the other manufacturers might be "offended".

I seriously doubt that is the reason.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

andz

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:45 am

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 3):
Guess it is politically not correct as the other manufacturers might be "offended".

I know political correctness is out of control in some parts of the world but this is a bit extreme. If anything, when you win a contract you like to "stick it" to the opposition.

Back on topic, I remember flying on SAA's 747 Classics and they had the big Pratt and Whitney eagle decal on the engines. Comforting in a way.

No close ups in the database but you can see them on this SP.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

sasd209

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 5):
...the big Pratt and Whitney eagle decal on the engines. Comforting in a way.

Ahhh, indeed!!    Full disclosure: I am a bit biased toward P&W. Not that there is anything wrong with any other manufacturer, but we all have our preferences and that logo on an aircrafts' engine is mine!

~SASD209

CanadianNorth

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:48 pm

On the Rolls Royce Darts found on the HS748s around here the RR logo is actually not a sticker, but a metal piece riveted onto the side of each cowling. From what I've seen I think these cowlings are standard on most Darts, regardless of aircraft type. Once riveted on there it generally stays on there, and for the airline theres really no advantage to going through all the work of drilling them out and filling the holes. Plus they just look cool.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

jetlife2

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:54 pm

It is a customer choice. Some have both the engine logo and their own; some only their own; and every combination, including no logo of any kind...
My views are not necessarily the views of the GE Company