whiteknght01
Topic Author

FAA Part 135 Charter Broker Regs Help Needed?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Does anyone know if a Part135 charter brokerage company can purchase a group of passenger tickets on an US scheduled operator and add a service fee to the customer? I am not chartering the entire aircraft this time. I am purchasing 103 seat for a group and disclosing to them I am charging them a fee to organize the flight needs. They do not have enough funds to charter the aircraft, only for the needed seats. The operator says no problem..

My question is - Can I legally do this? This is uncharted water for me.

Thank you.

JRadier

RE: FAA Part 135 Charter Broker Regs Help Needed?

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:00 pm

On questions 'am I legally allowed to' it is usually best to contact a lawyer or the agency involved in the matter!
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

nws2002

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:23 pm

What exactly is a Part 135 charter broker? Part 135 air carriers operate their own aircraft and generally only broker flights if they do not have an aircraft available. A charter broker on the other hand deals with the Part 135 air carriers but does not operate their own aircraft.

What you have proposed is legal, as long as you clearly identify who is operating the trip to your passengers. You would be operating like a travel agent, nothing more. The big point is to make sure the passengers understand who is operating the flight.

termbewr

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:17 pm

I believe it is quite common for groups to purchase blocks of seats from airlines at a reduced rate. Usually, there is a "group travel" desk or something like who handles this. As far as a service fee, travel agents routinely do this as they make no commission off most airline fares.

It sounds as if you are acting more as a travel agent for this particular project rather than a charter broker. As a broker, you are arranging "whole aircraft" charter and not a group of seats on an airline. You may want to contact a travel agent you trust and ask them how this all works.

tb727

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:19 pm

With freight we always just called it "sub chartering" when we couldn't provide the right sized airplane or didn't have one available at that moment. We would just find what we needed, whether it was a 121 or 135 airplane, and tell the customer that's what we were using.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!