bristolflyer
Topic Author

Exterior Cameras: What For?

Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:55 am

So I have heard a few airlines have cameras mounted on the exteriors of their planes (tail/gear etc) - why do they do this? I'm sure it makes for some good viewing when landing/taking off, but there must be a higher purpose than this.
Fortune favours the brave

jetblueguy22

RE: Exterior Cameras: What For?

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:31 am

I believe the A380 cockpit has a link to the tail or nose camera. Im sure its gotta be tough to maneuver that baby on the ground. They maybe could use them during taxi. But even besides that it makes for a nice pax experience. That's a cool little feature to have.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Starlionblue

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:54 am

A380 and A345/346 have these. They are to make taxiing easier in tight spots.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

tdscanuck

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:26 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Thread starter):

So I have heard a few airlines have cameras mounted on the exteriors of their planes (tail/gear etc) - why do they do this?

On many airliners, you can't see any of the wing, gear, engines, or tail from the flight deck. This makes taxing in tight locations very difficult.

Tom.

GST

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:35 am

http://www.aircraftsecurity.co.uk/

These guys make external cameras for retrofit, and security of parked aircraft is a big pert of their sales pitch. I guess sometimes some operators park their aircraft either habitually or overnight in dodgy airports.

foxxray

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:31 am

There is also the EVS (Enhanced Vision System), mostly used on business jets, helicopters and i think on Fedex MD11.
Inspired by the FLIR, the EVS is an infrared camera which provides visual image of the runway even at night and in low visibility conditions...

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:49 am

A Better view from a wider angle to enable manuvering the aircraft on ground.Which otherwise is not clearly visible from the Flight Deck/Cockpit.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Horstroad

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 am

on the 777F there are cameras to observe the cargo doors. the one for the main cargo door is located in the left hand horizontal stabilizer. there is a control panel with monitors next to the main entry door.

here you can see it: http://www.airliners.net/photo/LAN-C...d=121a568c6cb6f960d8036fc1233f67db

[Edited 2011-10-25 03:26:13]

BoeingGuy

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 pm

The 777-300 and -300ER have taxi cameras in which the crew can view the two main landing gear and nosewheel gear on one of the multifunctional flight deck displays. It's due the length of the airplane and the distance from the flight deck to the main landing gears. That way the crew can monitor the landing gear and make sure they aren't going to run off the pavement on tight turns. Apparently the A380, A345 and A346 have a similar installation for the same reason.

N243NW

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Another neat fact is that when Boeing first introduced the stretched 777-300, it developed an electrically powered vehicle similar to a giant stick insect to give pilots a taste of taxiing the beast. It included a 777 cockpit area, a metal structure that approximated the length and wingspan of the aircraft, and wheels placed in the same location as the actual aircraft's wheels. It was a lot less high-tech than cameras, but it did the trick.

I have a picture of the vehicle in a book of mine, but it's packed away for now. Otherwise, I'd be happy to scan and post it.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

B6JFKH81

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Quoting N243NW (Reply 9):
Another neat fact is that when Boeing first introduced the stretched 777-300, it developed an electrically powered vehicle similar to a giant stick insect to give pilots a taste of taxiing the beast. It included a 777 cockpit area, a metal structure that approximated the length and wingspan of the aircraft, and wheels placed in the same location as the actual aircraft's wheels. It was a lot less high-tech than cameras, but it did the trick.

I had to see what you were talking about, god bless google LOL! Stick insect is on the money!!!!

http://www.builditsolar.com/Contact/LagosGroupWOGroup.jpg
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

bristolflyer
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments, I hadn't thought about the taxiing thing.

Quoting horstroad (Reply 7):
on the 777F there are cameras to observe the cargo doors.

Why so? For security/stowaway reasons?
Fortune favours the brave

zanl188

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Quoting N243NW (Reply 9):

I have a picture of the vehicle in a book of mine, but it's packed away for now. Otherwise, I'd be happy to scan and post it.

Boeing did something similar for the 747 back in the 60's.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Starlionblue

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 12):
Boeing did something similar for the 747 back in the 60's.

That was "Waddell's Wagon", named for test pilot Jack Waddell. Turned out it wasn't needed.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo