luckyone
Topic Author

Staffing Israeli Flights

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:34 pm

Quick question about crew scheduling. On airlines that fly to both Israel and countries such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Syria, and I'm sure a few others, how do airlines keep track of crew scheduling? Do they mandate that their crews maintain multiple passports? Do they keep a separate roster for crews flying to Israel to ensure they do not get assigned another route? Any insight is appreciated!

LXA340

RE: Staffing Israeli Flights

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Quoting luckyone (Thread starter):
Quick question about crew scheduling. On airlines that fly to both Israel and countries such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Syria, and I'm sure a few others, how do airlines keep track of crew scheduling? Do they mandate that their crews maintain multiple passports? Do they keep a separate roster for crews flying to Israel to ensure they do not get assigned another route? Any insight is appreciated!

On a general note, crews that fly to Israel also fly to arabic countries, at least that's the case with european airlines such as LH, LX, OS etc.

roseflyer

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:04 pm

Quoting luckyone (Thread starter):
Do they mandate that their crews maintain multiple passports?

Airline crew do not typically have passports stamped on each flight.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

daumueller

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Also, Israel has no Problem with arab stamps
Only Vice versa
To avoid probs on that end, Israel offers to stamp a separate sheet of paper to avoid 'marking' the passport

luckyone
Topic Author

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 pm

Quoting daumueller (Reply 3):
Also, Israel has no Problem with arab stamps

Sorry should have specified that I was aware of that.

Quoting daumueller (Reply 3):
To avoid probs on that end, Israel offers to stamp a separate sheet of paper to avoid 'marking' the passport

What about issues such as work visas? Don't flight attendants need work visas for the respective countries they fly to?

Starlionblue

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:37 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 4):
What about issues such as work visas? Don't flight attendants need work visas for the respective countries they fly to?

Depends on the country if you need a visa at all. However they would never need a work visa. You only need a work visa if your base is in the country and you are domiciled there. For example if I go to the US on a business trip for a week I do not need a work visa. A business visa is fine (or in my case no visa at all since I can use the visa waiver program).

I don't know how Israel handles this.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

luckyone
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:07 am

On several of my flights the FAs stated they had to have a work visa. For example, on ATL-SVO, the New York-based FA stated she had a two year work visa that she had to pay for before getting reimbursed by Delta.

Starlionblue

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 6):
On several of my flights the FAs stated they had to have a work visa. For example, on ATL-SVO, the New York-based FA stated she had a two year work visa that she had to pay for before getting reimbursed by Delta.

She was most likely just calling her Business Visa a Work Visa. http://www.russianembassy.org/Embassy_eng/Consulate/business_visa.html

In the usual definition, a Business Visa gives you the right to visit the country and work for brief periods while not domiciled there. A Working Visa gives you the right to live and work in the country, typically in connection with a particular employer.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

luckyone
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:29 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 7):
She was most likely just calling her Business Visa a Work Visa. http://www.russianembassy.org/Embassy_eng/Consulate/business_visa.html

Oh ok. I didn't know that. Do the countries in question have a similar policy?

Starlionblue

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 8):
Do the countries in question have a similar policy?

It depends entirely on the combination of destination and traveler's citizenship. Sometimes it also depends on the country of residence of the traveler.

For example US citizens visiting Israel on business do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days. On the other hand, US citizens visiting Syria or Saudi Arabia on business need a business visa. (Source: .)

Another example is that Swedes visiting the US for tourism or business do not need a visa. However Indonesian citizens do.

bwaflyer

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:24 am

as a UK based crew member, we travel everywhere on a General Declaration, a form listing all the crew which is stamped by the immigration officers on arrival, and handed back to the immigration officers as we leave. Passports rarely leave our crew bags, and only in a few central Asian countries get stamped. There are only 2 countries that UK crew members need visas for, the Russian Federation and the United States.

luckyone
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:54 am

Thanks for the information!