HighlandExpress
Topic Author

Relaxed Crew On This Cargolux 747

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Just browsing the new images this evening and came across this, I noticed both the crew have their feet on or near the consoles to the front, very close to some or the contol knobs! Is this common practice and what if one had sneezed? Just curious......

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Planecatcher

[Edited 2011-11-07 22:24:06 by wilco737]
I am from Scotland, but I live in Germany.....

Mir

RE: Relaxed Crew On This Cargolux 747

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Quoting HighlandExpress (Thread starter):
very close to some or the contol knobs!

Very non-essential control knobs. You'll also note that the captain's foot is on the footrest which is specifically designed for that purpose

what if one had sneezed?

Probably nothing. If a knob had been moved, the solution would be to move it back to where it was. No problems.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

wilco737

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:13 pm

That is even a footrest. You can set your foot there. Nothing you can cause with your foot there at all... So just sit back, relax and enjoy the looooong flights.

wilco737

HighlandExpress
Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey, thanks for that...
I am from Scotland, but I live in Germany.....

HAL

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 am

Those footrests (or something similar) have been standard on all Boeing equipment since the 707. It helps keep a little circulation going if you can move your legs around in the cockpit, since you aren't supposed to get up all the time while on duty. So we'll keep them down by the rudder pedals for a while, then up on the footrests, then back, etc. On the 767 I fly I've occasionally tapped one of the upper buttons on the FMS panel with the sole of my foot, but all that does is change what's shown on the FMS screen. It's not like you can shut off the engines, or depressurize the plane that way. 
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Sperry

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

wn700driver

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:10 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 4):

Or hit Gary Larson's "wings fall off" button.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

dubliftment

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:56 am

what if one had sneezed?

I think the worst thing that could happen there was that someone spills their coffee. Cleaning coffee traces from flight deck is a frequent maintenance procedure by the way.

SASDC8

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:30 am

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 5):
Or hit Gary Larson's "wings fall off" button.

2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

CptRegionalJet

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:41 am

Is this common practice and what if one had sneezed? Just curious......

I think they would have lost control istantly...         

pliersinsight

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 4):
Those footrests (or something similar) have been standard on all Boeing equipment since the 707. It helps keep a little circulation going if you can move your legs around in the cockpit, since you aren't supposed to get up all the time while on duty. So we'll keep them down by the rudder pedals for a while, then up on the footrests, then back, etc. On the 767 I fly I've occasionally tapped one of the upper buttons on the FMS panel with the sole of my foot, but all that does is change what's shown on the FMS screen. It's not like you can shut off the engines, or depressurize the plane that way.

HAL, from the picture you posted it shows that the rests on the first officer's side are well worn and on the Captain's side, the paint is all there. The sidekick must get to kick back a bit more over at HA.  

modesto2

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 pm

I used to always use the footrests in the ERJ cockpit. As HAL said, it's a great way to circulate blood and gain more comfort in an otherwise stagnant position.

flyingalex

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 4):
Those footrests (or something similar) have been standard on all Boeing equipment since the 707. It helps keep a little circulation going if you can move your legs around in the cockpit, since you aren't supposed to get up all the time while on duty.

Airbus has some too:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrews C.

The pairs of long triangular blocks under the instrument displays are two footrests for each of the pilots. The blocks move down about 10-15 centimetres when you put your foot on them, but are spring-loaded so that they are returned to the normal position when not in use.

I couldn't find a picture of anyone using them, but rest assured, they get used a lot.

[Edited 2011-11-06 09:03:45]
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar

Horstroad

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:28 am

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 9):
HAL, from the picture you posted it shows that the rests on the first officer's side are well worn and on the Captain's side, the paint is all there.

maybe the captain's had to be replaced bacause they were worn even more 

vikkyvik

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:13 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Probably nothing. If a knob had been moved, the solution would be to move it back to where it was.

That actually made me laugh out loud!

Clearly we'll have to spice that up for the resulting news report(s), expert interviews ("I've always said Boeing should remove those footrests!"), investigation, and certainly for the made-for-TV movie!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

barney captain

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 4):
Those footrests (or something similar) have been standard on all Boeing equipment since the 707. It helps keep a little circulation going if you can move your legs around in the cockpit, since you aren't supposed to get up all the time while on duty. So we'll keep them down by the rudder pedals for a while, then up on the footrests, then back, etc. On the 767 I fly I've occasionally tapped one of the upper buttons on the FMS panel with the sole of my foot, but all that does is change what's shown on the FMS screen. It's not like you can shut off the engines, or depressurize the plane that way

While that's certainly how I use them as well - believe it or not, their initial design function (stemming back to the 707) was for a place to lock your feet to provide leverage in overcoming a jammed stab. Believe it or not  
Southeast Of Disorder

KAUSpilot

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:27 am

There is some danger of hitting buttons on the side of the FMS CDU's with your foot. Most notably the F/O could hit the GPS inhibit button on the 744 if they happen to be on the POS REF page, which would degrade navigational performance and lead to a bust. Additionally you get to the POS REF page by pushing R6 from Progress Page 1, which is one of the most common pages to have displayed during cruise....so if your foot mashes R5 and R6 simultaneously it could cause some problems if you're on prog page 1.

Hopefully the crew would catch the problem via the EICAS advisory message "UNABLE RNP" before it ever got that far. The F/O could also hit the ADS EMERG button at R5 if they happen to be on the ATC LOGON/STATUS screen in CPDLC operations (this would set off alarms at the ATC facility and likely lead to questions that you'd rather not answer).

The legs page is a pretty safe one to be on if you're going to put your foot up there, methinks.

That's not meant to criticize this Cargolux crew; it's perfectly safe as long as you're careful not to hit a bunch of buttons on the CDU.