CXfirst
Topic Author

787 Electronic Window Shade In Other Aircraft?

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:13 pm

One thing that the 787 has, which I think is great is the electronic window shade.

My question is, would other aircraft be able to implement this. Could say a 737 be refitted with this down the line? Does Boeing have any plans for something like this, as part of an updated sky interior?

Also, does Airbus have any plans to implement this on the A350, and if not, does the design have the ability to have this changed? Or would doing this violate any patent law?

I believe that all airplanes should have electronic window shades, giving people who had the window seat the ability to see out, while not causing any undesired light for people sleeping, watching IFE, etc.

On a side note, what would happen if a technical problem happens, such as the buttons controlling the shade stop working? Are we at risk of having night flights where one faulty shade gives the cabin undesired light?

-CXfirst

bonusonus

RE: 787 Electronic Window Shade In Other Aircraft?

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 pm

I believe it will be an option on the CSeries.

emirates202

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:34 am

EK has them on all it's A380's, after A6-EDC, in F, and in J on A6-EDP as far as I know. They also have them on most 777L's and 777W's in F that have the suites, and in most J cabins, with the newer aircraft

-Saketh
Fly Emirates, Hello Tomorrow

roseflyer

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:45 am

Quoting CXfirst (Thread starter):

My question is, would other aircraft be able to implement this. Could say a 737 be refitted with this down the line? Does Boeing have any plans for something like this, as part of an updated sky interior?

I don't think it is planned for the 737MAX. The additional wiring would likely pose a bit of a problem to add it into an existing design.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

aogdesk

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:14 pm

what would happen if a technical problem happens, such as the buttons controlling the shade stop working? Are we at risk of having night flights where one faulty shade gives the cabin undesired light?

AFAIK, that might be a possibility. The fail safe 'position' for this technology is clear/transparent. The technology to darken windows has been around for quite some time, but it would previously fail to a dark/shaded condition.

roseflyer

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Quoting aogdesk (Reply 4):
what would happen if a technical problem happens, such as the buttons controlling the shade stop working? Are we at risk of having night flights where one faulty shade gives the cabin undesired light?

AFAIK, that might be a possibility. The fail safe 'position' for this technology is clear/transparent. The technology to darken windows has been around for quite some time, but it would previously fail to a dark/shaded condition.

I think the backup procedure would be a safety card or two jammed into the window to block light. Same thing that a resourceful FA would do when one of the old plastic shades gets stuck.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

hal9213

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Quoting Emirates202 (Reply 2):
EK has them on all it's A380's, after A6-EDC, in F, and in J on A6-EDP as far as I know. They also have them on most 777L's and 777W's in F that have the suites, and in most J cabins, with the newer aircraft

What you mean is a motor driven classic window shade operated with buttons. I believe, the OP means the electrochromatic dimmable glas windows.

emirates202

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Quoting hal9213 (Reply 6):

Oh ok. Didn't understand what he meant.
Fly Emirates, Hello Tomorrow