September11
Topic Author

Photo: Passenger Evacuation Mistake?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:15 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Longhurst

shouldn't passengers depicted w/ carry on bags in above picture leave their belongings in the plane?
Airliners.net of the Future

planejamie

RE: Photo: Passenger Evacuation Mistake?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:27 pm

I guess if there was no immanent danger and I presume the only reason they used this method was down to it being easier than trying to get the stairs to line up there, I see no problems. If there was like a raging fire behind them, then I doubt they'd be taking their carry on baggage. And it isn't just one passenger either. Some also have coats on too.

bohica

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Just from looking at the picture there is no fire and there is no sense of urgency to leave the area. In fact, it looks like more people are trying to get back on the plane to retrieve their personal belongings than people leaving. There is a line of people standing on the wing waiting to board through the window exit.

My guess it that the passengers were evacuated then were allowed to return to the plane to get their belongings.

Markhkg

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:32 am

Passengers taking their bags during an evacuation is nothing new unfortunately.

Southwest Airlines evacation...passenger evacuates briefcase before self:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...er_detailpage&v=bzOTCkd_XZQ#t=259s

Passengers taking their bags out during an Iberia evacuation, hampering evac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTcjJoIWJQ4

UA Evacuation...count the bags:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNwt_9wnVs
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

rfields5421

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:08 pm

That picture is definitely not of an evacuation, but something very rare today - passengers being allowed to retrieve the items they left in the cabin during the evacuation.

lucce

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Not all airlines include the command to leave bags to their shouted emergency commands but it is a protocol for all I think. The problem is that while carrying bags during evacuation is dangerous, there's very little the crew can do because yanking them off passengers hands takes time and delays the evacuation and even then there's no place to put them.

While that is not the most urgent of situations, all the precautionary disembarkation procedures I've seen include leaving bags inside the aircraft but again, no evacuation is textbook.