redcenterflyer
Topic Author

Question Re Seat Belt Regs In USA Vice Other

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Are there regulations in the states that require seat belt signs to be turned on for the full climb and decent? Flying Qantas quite regularly, the seat belt sign goes off minutes after taking off, and isn't turned back on until quite low in the decent (unless of course there is turbulence). Just curious if there are regulations that apply to US airlines regarding this. Thanks

LAXdude1023

RE: Question Re Seat Belt Regs In USA Vice Other

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Ive noticed this as well. I have flown LAN, BA, and Finnair all recently and they turn the sign off once they get past 10,000 feet. I have also flown AA, DL, US, UA, and CO countless times. They dont turn the belts on until you get to cruise.

Maybe its because people in the US sue at the drop of a hat?  
It is what it is...

roseflyer

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:15 am

It's the legal team and management not liking having to deal with the repercussions of injuries. If they can keep the people in their seats, that is better as they won't get injured. If they do it is at their own risk. By the way, they also better do excercises in their seat so they don't get DVT. In general it is all risk management and US carriers are over cautious. That's pretty common accross the United States in general. Stricter road laws, stricter food safety requirements, stricter car safety requirements, strict company regulations, etc. Protect people so much that they have to be completely stupid to hurt themselves so that the company can't be held liable.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Starlionblue

Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:27 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 2):
Stricter road laws, stricter food safety requirements, stricter car safety requirements, strict company regulations, etc.

I'll agree about the airlines but the rest I take exception to. For example many US states have no helmet requirement for motorcycle riders. Also in Western Europe car and food safety requirements are just about as tough.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

planejamie

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:30 pm

I think Britain is the worst when it comes to safety. Health & Safety... you can't change a lightbulb at work without filling out a risk assessment and having someone hold the ladder now... Road safety moreso (the mobile phone law - can't use mobiles while driving, a lot of speed cameras and the booster seat law which I think is ignored anyway).

On BA in my experience, they turn the seatbelt sign off at 10,000ft and back on again when the crew announce "10 minutes to landing" on European flights or "20 minutes to landing" on the long haul ones. I've been in a hold for landing at LHR from MAN before now and we were at about 8000-9000ft according to Airshow and they only put the seatbelt sign on when we were cleared to continue. On FI recently, the seatbelt sign went off about a minute after take-off from KEF but from MAN, it was at 10,000ft. It came back on again 30 minutes before landing though.