caleb1
Topic Author

Part-time F/As And Pilots..Is There Such A Thing?

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:50 pm

I know that many if not most jobs in and out of the airline industry hire people to be either full or part-time workers. Is the same true for pilots and flight attendants, or are these strictly full-time professions?

HBJZA

RE: Part-time F/As And Pilots..Is There Such A Thing?

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Part time contracts are totally acceptable and common within both pilots and F/A communities.
I know a lot of pilots working 80% because salary is still very acceptable. And about F/A's I know some working from free lance to 100% with almost every possibility like 2 weeks on/2 weeks off for a 50 % or one extra off day a week for an 80 %, etc...

Caspian27

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:05 pm

SkyWest has part-time FA's but not part-time pilots.
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

tdscanuck

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Quoting caleb1 (Thread starter):
Is the same true for pilots and flight attendants, or are these strictly full-time professions?

Part-time pilots are pretty common at smaller/charter/cargo operators. There is a small army (air force) of GA-sized aircraft that makes a really good living running small volume/low weight/high value items (e.g. medical samples) on charter...they keep a ton of part-time pilots in hours.

Tom.

atct

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:53 pm

I used to "contract" for a private company flying on their King Air. They took along a 2nd pilot on the longer flights and trips and single piloted the short days. I am not "on contract" with anyone at the moment but hope to be back to flying a Dc-3 part time once spring rolls around.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

Fabo

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:48 pm

At some smaller, often charter companies, it will not be unusual to find staff that is part time flight crew/part time administration.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

nws2002

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:48 am

There is also "job shares" for flight attendants where two flight attendants will fill one full-time position.

MrChips

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:07 am

Quoting Fabo (Reply 5):
At some smaller, often charter companies, it will not be unusual to find staff that is part time flight crew/part time administration.

You'll find that's more the rule than the exception; there are pilots who split their time between the aircraft and the office in nearly every air operator regardless of size, myself being one example of many.

On a much less palatable note, there are sadly more than a few companies who deliberately schedule and pay full-time pilots such that they are legally part-time employees in an attempt to avoid paying for costly benefits.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

andz

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:39 am

My wife was a part time F/A for SAA back in the A300 days. She has a full time office job in Flight Operations and flew when required. At the time she was also part time with SAA Historic Flight on DC-3, DC-4 and JU-52 so it was just a conversion to A300 and 732 to get her onto the mainline.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

YokoTsuno

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:54 am

Quoting atct (Reply 4):
I used to "contract" for a private company flying on their King Air

Does this "contracting" work like free-lance software and development engineers? (generally self-employed and often charging by the hour)

canoecarrier

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 3):
There is a small army (air force) of GA-sized aircraft that makes a really good living running small volume/low weight/high value items (e.g. medical samples) on charter...they keep a ton of part-time pilots in hours.

To elaborate a little on this. At our charter operation we not only had aircraft that our company owned and provided for on-demand charter, we performed "pilot service" support for private jet or piston aircraft owners who didn't want to hire a full time pilot(s). For instance we had an NFL team owner that flew maybe 15-20 hours a month in his Challenger, we had 2 pilots that could fly that plane. One was our chief pilot, the other was a part time farmer and that was all he did for us: come in and fly that plane on-demand.

As Tom said, there are a lot of part time pilots at the GA level. Some were airline pilots who'd fly a Navajo for us a dozen or less hours a month, others were semi-retired pilots.

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 9):
Does this "contracting" work like free-lance software and development engineers? (generally self-employed and often charging by the hour)

Someone else here may be able to answer this question better than I, but I think the work arrangement would probably be dictated by who paid the general liability insurance. There's a lot more exposure as a pilot then there would be as a software engineer.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

nws2002

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 9):

In general yes. However, the aircraft insurance carrier often has to approve pilot or there is a designated person in the flight operation that has to approve the pilot.

My only experience is as a flight attendant for a corporate charter company, but you are an independent contractor and have to may your own income and payroll taxes.