AA7771stClass
Topic Author

AA MD80 To ORD On Dec 5

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:05 am

Good evening -

I have a question from a flight I recently took: I was on the first flight out of DFW to ORD at 05:45 Monday morning. It had rained a lot through the weekend and overnight Sunday. While we were taxiing towards the active, I'll say roughly 3000 ft short of lining up, the pilot throttled up each engine separately for 15-30 seconds. When I say throttled up, it was way beyond taxi power and you could feel him applying the brakes to keep it from accelerating too much...like borderline takeoff power. He did this for each engine by itself and we picked up a fair amount of speed going down the taxiway.

Question I have is this a standard operating procedure after the plane's sat on the ground to make sure all the water's flushed out of the engine on the first flight of the day or is there another reason why the pilot would have done this?

PGNCS

RE: AA MD80 To ORD On Dec 5

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:25 am

If it was cold enough to require engine anti ice, it is entirely normal.

AA7771stClass
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:12 am

Thanks for the insight - I guess that explains it. It was fairly chilly, hovering around freezing. I guess I was just surprised because I'd never heard that before but I'm not usually on the first flight out either...

PGNCS

Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:00 pm

If it had been raining and was near freezing they almost assuredly would require engine anti ice and were operating in the regime that requires runups (regardless of whether it was the first flight of the day or not.) Depending on the length of the taxi out (and the exact engine in question and procedures in use) these can range in frequency and duration, but while taxiing it's generally best to do one at at time. Hope this helps!

N353SK

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:04 pm

I can't speak for all operators, but my employer requires an anti-ice test on the first flight of every day. It needs to be done before we encounter any potential icing conditions, and we can usually do it on climbout. If we are expecting icing conditions during or shortly after takeoff we will do an anti-ice test on the ground, which entails a runup.

PGNCS

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 4):
I can't speak for all operators, but my employer requires an anti-ice test on the first flight of every day. It needs to be done before we encounter any potential icing conditions, and we can usually do it on climbout. If we are expecting icing conditions during or shortly after takeoff we will do an anti-ice test on the ground, which entails a runup.

Interesting. I have well over 10,000 hours in the MD-80 and I have never heard of this. How do you do it other than turn the switches on and make sure all valves open, then turn switches off and make sure all valves close (i.e. watch for disagreements in each switch position)?