Soxfan
Topic Author

Question On Crew Accommodations Away From Base

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 am

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about crew accommodations away from bases: are crews required to stay in the hotel designated by their airline, or can they stay somewhere else within reason at their own expense? For example, let's say a flight attendant based out of New York has extended family living in Chicago, less than an hour from ORD. Would he/she be allowed to stay with his/her family overnight, or would he/she need to remain at the airline's hotel? What about if the attendant had friends, not family, living in Chicago--would the same opportunity be present to stay with friends?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Soxfan  
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

seven3seven

RE: Question On Crew Accommodations Away From Base

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:41 am

At Southwest we can do whatever we want. We dont even have to check into the hotel and we dont have to remain contactable by phone on the overnight.

We're adults
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

tdscanuck

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Quoting Soxfan (Thread starter):
are crews required to stay in the hotel designated by their airline, or can they stay somewhere else within reason at their own expense?

It's very airline specific. Per diem is not uncommon (here's a fixed amount of money per day for hotel/food/whatever...do whatever you want with it, show up on time tomorrow).

Tom.

CanadianNorth

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Where I work when we are away from base it's essentially here is your hotel reservation, here is a ride to the hotel if you want it, and here is your per diem to cover anything else. Now go do whatever you want just be back here ready to work at xx time tomorow morning.
What could possibly go wrong?

nws2002

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Didn't we just have a very similar thread?

Anyways, at UA (well I'll always be CO) there is no requirement to stay at the crew hotel. If you want to stay with friends, family, or even a stranger you just met, no one is going to tell you otherwise. You are expected to coordinate with the rest of the crew on a meeting time and location for your next flight. For instance, sometimes you will meet up at the hotel, but usually it is easier to meet at the airport. I also trade cell phone numbers with the captain and a few of the other flight attendants, just in case.

e38

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Soxfan, with reference to your question, "are crews required to stay in the hotel designated by their airline?"

In general--in the United States--no, they do not.

At the company I work for, it is customary to call the airline's "hotel desk" or "crew accommodation desk" and inform them you will not be occupying the room at the designated hotel that night. That way, the hotel can be notified and the room can be used for another customer. However, it is not a mandatory call.

As others have noted, it is also customary to inform another crewmember where you will be staying and provide a phone number. That way, if there are any changes to the next day's schedule, you will have the information. Normally, scheduling will call each crewmember with any changes, but occasionally, they only call the Captain and/or Lead Flight Attendant on that particular trip.

For the most part, the company doesn't care where you spend the night as long as you show up with appropriate rest for the next day's work.

e38

FlyboyOz

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:53 am

I have heard that lots of flight attendants complains to their airlines that the hotels are terrible and bad though! lol
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

safetyDemo

Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:28 am

At my airline we are not required to check into the hotel they provide. It is common courtesy to alert at least one other crewmember (pilot or flight attendant) if we choose to stay elsewhere as to where we'll be and when to expect to see us next ie: will we meet the crew at the hotel to take the van to the airport or should they expect us to meet them at the aircraft?
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...

Zkpilot

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:01 pm

There are some airlines that actually give crew an extra payment for not using the designated hotel room (ie a couple who will only use one room, or someone staying with friends/family). The airline saves money from not having to pay for the hotel room and passes some of it to the crew.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.