european130
Topic Author

Open Skies Policy - Canada To The UK

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 pm

I know there is a policy now in place between Canada and the UK for open skies, however can anybody let me know if it is possible to operate a US registered aircraft for a charter flight series between Toronto and the UK. Thank you in advance

longhauler

RE: Open Skies Policy - Canada To The UK

Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:39 am

Quoting european130 (Thread starter):
can anybody let me know if it is possible to operate a US registered aircraft for a charter flight series between Toronto and the UK.

Yes, as long as the operator of the aircraft has a Canadian Operating Certificate.

It is not uncommon for Canadian carriers to lease an aircraft from a foreign carrier for operational reasons. Usually it is to fill shortcomings during peak traffic times.

Or another example would be this:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Richard Vandervord
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Marc Hasenbein

During a lease arrangement, CPAir and United Airlines swapped DC-10-30s for DC-10-10s. So you have a Canadian registered DC-10s flying for United and American registered DC-10s flying for CP. An interesting bit of trivia, the CP pilots had to obtain FAA ATPL licences with a type DC-10 rating to fly the aircraft!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!