readytotaxi
Topic Author

Crew Q? When Flying East To West.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:35 pm

A question to crew about routine pls.
When flying an overnight E to W on a 10hr+ how do you deal with the morning arrival in terms of personal space?
Do you carry on and fight the body clock and go to bed later that day or check into the company hotel and go to straight to bed?

Example, the BA55 LHR-JNB departs 17:50 arrives 0640, would you grab a few hours straight away?
Experience is King.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

packcheer

RE: Crew Q? When Flying East To West.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm not sure LHR - JNB is a good Example, that's a long North to South flight that only changes 2 time zones. It quite literally is an over night flight due to flight time, not time changes.

Generally speaking, because I am not a pilot, but just travel wise, the time zone changes are what mess me up, not so much traveling over night.
Things that fly, Girls and Planes...

nws2002

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm

I agree with packcheer, time zone changes, along with the associated waiting for shuttles, waiting for hotel rooms, and then trying to figure out when to eat are what mess me up.

Fabo

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:55 pm

I would expect that when the next flight departs plays a large role.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

wilco737

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Thread starter):
Example, the BA55 LHR-JNB departs 17:50 arrives 0640, would you grab a few hours straight away?
Experience is King.  

Oh for sure... Usually I just take a couple of hours. 3-4 max. Gives me enough energy to survive the day.
If I don't sleep I am in ZOMBIE mode. NOt knowing what I am doing and just walking through the city like a zombie 

On westbound flights I try to stay awake as long as possible.

Good thing is that we have a nice break during flight where I can sleep properly and get back some energy.

wilco737

safetyDemo

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:18 am

I mostly do domestic trans-cons when speaking of changing timezones - but I always try and stay on my normal schedule for eating/sleeping. This typically means I get up around 5 or 6am west coast time the morning after arriving. This has the added benefit of allowing me to take a nap before a late evening red-eye departure. Then when I get back to the east coast I typically only allow myself a few hours of sleep (not past noon) so I can fall asleep again that same night at a "Regular" time.
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...