davescj
Topic Author

Delta Connection, Pre Departure Drinks

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:23 am

The title doesn't quite capture the whole question. My question refers to the DL Connection (various carriers) and their policy ref. pre-departure beverages. Most of the time, if there is a FC cabin, pre-departure drinks are offered, the same as would be true on mainline DL flights.

However, on mainline DL, you always have the option of alcoholic drinks. This is also true on some DL Connection flights. Yet, on some carriers, alcohol is only available in the air. I know in some cases it could be a local law, but for example ATL or MKE I've seen some Connection flights NOT offer alcohol on the ground, where other Connection carriers and DL mainline do.

My question is why? Is this a tax or licensing issue? Or is this a policy related to the carrier?

Thanks for insight!

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

flyboy80

RE: Delta Connection, Pre Departure Drinks

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:12 am

I believe that this may pertain to the individual connection carrier and their liquor licensing, possibly?

I

mayor

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:16 am

Quoting flyboy80 (Reply 1):
I believe that this may pertain to the individual connection carrier and their liquor licensing, possibly?

I think you've probably nailed it......even though the carrier is contracting for DL, they probably have to individually apply for a liquor license out of every state they serve.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 am

Quoting flyboy80 (Reply 1):

Its actually something more simple than that. It depends on the destination and how much alcohol was boarded. With some kits, you're not suppose to break the seat until you get in the air. Others, there are two liquor kits (most flights) and one is designated for pre-departure drinks with the rest (overflow) being used for in-flight.
What gets measured gets done.

davescj
Topic Author

Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:44 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 3):
It depends on the destination and how much alcohol was boarded.

I noticed more than once in MKE that snacks are boarded onto the flight (since we have no meal flight out of MKE). Do all out stations (as I presume MKE is) have the same kits?

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

FlyASAGuy2005

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:21 am

Quoting davescj (Reply 4):
I noticed more than once in MKE that snacks are boarded onto the flight (since we have no meal flight out of MKE). Do all out stations (as I presume MKE is) have the same kits?

If there is a kitchen, yes. The catering company will have a Delta "stock" as they have a contract and would know exactly what to board for each flight based on different variables. Now, some stations do not have caterers so everything has to be boarded from the up line station to cover the return trip.
What gets measured gets done.