greenair727
Topic Author

Fuel Calculation Question Help

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:29 am

I'm trying to do some calculations here, and appreciate any input here. How much does an airline pay in fuel, say for NYC-NRT and NYC-LHR? I realize this depends on fuel hedges/contracts and type of aircraft, so lets say, current fuel rates and comparing a 762, A330, and a private Gulfstream 650 (yes the Gulfstream could do this range). Thanks in advance.

jetblueguy22

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:48 am

Well the best guess I can go with is using the FBO at JFK
Jet A is 7.62 a gallon at what they have listed,
762ER: 183,000 USD
A332: 280,000 USD
G650: 56,134 USD
Granted that is at market price fully loaded. I'm sure the airlines get a much better deal than what is listed here.
Blue
EDIT: Realized I put the wrong price down than what I found. The actual price I found was 7.48 USD. Those will be high.

[Edited 2012-02-13 18:48:51]
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Mir

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:11 am

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 1):
Granted that is at market price fully loaded. I'm sure the airlines get a much better deal than what is listed here.

The airlines do get a much better deal on fuel than corporate jets, as they aren't subject to the various fuel taxes that go into the price of fuel that you'd get at an FBO. And that's before you factor in the fuel contracts (though corporate aviation has some of those too, depending on who it is) and various hedges.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

airportugal310

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 am

Jet fuel is my business, so I will throw in some things to think about that makes this calculation stuff a little more difficult to figure out.

NYC-NRT/LHR are both international routes, and depending on the circumstances, aircraft may have access to bonded/un-bonded fuel. Bonded being not subject to full taxation depending on several factors related to the acquisition of the fuel, and un-bonded being regularly taxes per federal/state/county rules.

Of course, the larger commercial type aircraft will also receive special ITP rates from the fuel supplier that are very low margin given the high volume involved.

The G650, however, probably will not incur low rates, but still cheaper than retail depending on whatever contract fuel provider they use (if any) or volume taken.

All this, in addition to the other stipulations you mentioned above, make a calculation difficult.

For what it matters, NY Harbor today was wholesaling jet fuel for something like 3.20/g (dont know exactly)...my guess is that it was being sold to domestic carriers for somewhere around $3.90/g, but thats pure speculation on my part.

Edit: I should mention that the fuel is not (usually) sold directly to the airline, but to the fuel provider at the airport who then of course does some math on their part for the work involved and "resold"
For the fully loaded G650, if it were flying, I'm gonna take a guess at $6 (and thats negotiating through the FBO).

[Edited 2012-02-13 19:16:38]
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories