BreninTW
Topic Author

Side-facing Lights On A330

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 am

I was spotting over the weekend when a TG A330-300 landed at TPE. On the side of the fuselage, just below the window line it appeared there were two lights fitted. The lights were shining out perpendicular to the fuselage.

Does the A330-300 have such lights and what is their purpose?

DocLightning

RE: Side-facing Lights On A330

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:21 am

Were they just ahead of the leading edge? If so, it is to illuminate the leading edge of the wings.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

e38

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 am

Brendan
I cannot speak for the A-330 specifically, but many airliners have side facing lights on the fuselage forward of the wing that actually shine slightly aft and illuminate either the wing leading edge or the engine nacelles and intakes (for aircraft with wing mounted engines) or both. This can help flight crew members determine if there is any buildup of ice on the wings or engine nacelles during night operations. However, in the U.S. generally these lights are illuminated during all takeoffs and landings when below 10,000' MSL, and also when crossing runways during taxi operations, both day and night, to enhance the visibility of the aircraft. On the A319/A320 these lights are called "Wing lights."

On the DC-9 and MD-80/MD-90 aircraft, there are actually three side facing lights on each side of the fuselage--two forward of the wing and one aft of the wing. Starting from the front of the aircraft, the first light shines slightly aft and is used to illuminate the wing leading edge. It is called the "Wing Leading Edge Floodlight." The second light actually shines slightly forward and is called "Ground Floodlight" used to illuminate the ramp area near the forward cargo doors, and the aft light behind the wing is called the "Engine Nacelle Floodlight," and illuminates both the engine nacelle and the ramp area aft of the wing near the aft cargo door. On the DC9-50 aircraft, there is actually an additional light on the side of the fuselage (a fourth light) aft of the wing that is activated only when the emergency power is in use and will provide limited lighting for fifteen minutes during a ground evacuation using the overwing exits.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

e38

BreninTW
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:47 am

Thanks for the answers folks...

I seem to recall that the lights where quite far forward (perhaps between the first two sets of doors). I was surprised because I haven't noticed them before on any of the A330's I've seen. I'm kicking myself for not getting my camera out in time.

These lights were on the right side of the aircraft (as you are looking at the nose).

It makes sense to have lights to inspect the wings, but my impression is that these would be a little too far forward. However, given how bright they were (and they were BRIGHT) they might be able to illuminate the entire wing from where they were.

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 3):
I seem to recall that the lights where quite far forward (perhaps between the first two sets of doors).

Were these wing Leading edge illumination lights or Escape slide emergency lights....similiar to those on the B737.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

zkojq

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm

In this photo the lights can be seen at the bottom of the a in Emirates:
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/7/7/2037771.jpg
First to fly the 787-9 with Air New Zealand and ZK-NZE (2014-10-09, NZ103)

BreninTW
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:44 am

Quoting zkojq (Reply 5):
In this photo the lights can be seen at the bottom of the a in Emirates

I'd say those are probably the lights I'm talking about (although I thought they're more widely spaced than that photo shows).

Thanks!

jrfspa320

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 am

The lights are actually at the bottom of the A in Emirates

zeke

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:28 am

Quoting BreninTW (Thread starter):

They are the wing lights, one illuminates the engine intake, the other the leading edge. They are there to illuminate hose areas to check for ice accumulation, some airlines ales use them to be scene at night.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6087/6069213595_5c115df9ca_b.jpg
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

Goldenshield

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 8):
They are the wing lights, one illuminates the engine intake, the other the leading edge. They are there to illuminate hose areas to check for ice accumulation, some airlines ales use them to be scene at night.

Further, many countries, in an effort to improve safety, have implemented "see-and-be-seen" reccomendations while on the runway, and in the terminal (below 10,000 feet) environment, which means that any external lights that aircraft may have should be turned on to improve the aircraft's visibility.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.