dlramp4life
Topic Author

Ramp Snake...Good Or Bad For The Ramp?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 am

The ramp snake is a monster of a belt loader.. I have seen pictures of it in company news letters and various online outlets. It is said to make loading and unloading of aircraft easier and save on injury rates among employees. I have not seen them action here in the states at any US airport.

Is the ramp snake a safe alternative on the ramp instead of a basic belt loader?

http://www.cphdesign.com/media/galleryimages/generated/RS_clip_boom_bags_cmyk_noBG_760x580.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAsGtB6Xjk
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

HAWK21M

RE: Ramp Snake...Good Or Bad For The Ramp?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:17 pm

When you consider the less effort required needed when using the snake,it makes sense.
However yet to notice the snake being used out here at any airport.Its still the conventional rectangular ones.But then we have the Bulk cargo loading system installed on our freighters that eliminates the need for the snake anyway.

However if FMC is the manufacturer its bound to be an excellent product.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

contrails15

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:08 pm

There's pro's and con's with this. Its expensive and you a greater chance of damage to the aircraft if not used probably. I know someone who used it. It was a test model and they got to play with it for a few weeks. He liked it but you have such incompetence on the ramp that I would be very hesitant to buy these. My airline is getting 321's end of 2013 and to solve the third man problem in the front, they found an adapter to put on our existing beltloaders that would serve the same function but like I said, you have to have someone com pedant using these things. There are plenty of people that can't even drive a tug right. Its a great product though and its great in those long bellies so I'm all for them.
Giants football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAWK21M

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 2):
a greater chance of damage to the aircraft if not used probably.

I agree this is one serious concern in using such a GSE.

SAAFNAV

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Wow,

This really looks like its complicating a relatively minor procedure?
I understand that it is hard work loading, so it might help.

But is it just me, or did they try to cover every little aspect to prevent them from getting sued in that video?

Regards,
Erich
On-board Direction Consultant

dlramp4life
Topic Author

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 2):
There's pro's and con's with this. Its expensive and you a greater chance of damage to the aircraft if not used probably.

Agreed, there are pros and cons with this...

Pros:
Saves pressure on the back
Do not need a another person in the bin to throw the bags if the plane is not equipped with a sliding carpet system
Saves on staffing

Cons:
Looks complicated
Chances of aircraft damages increase
Time is wasted getting it set up during tight turn times?

Also it looks like a piece of gse that will always be tagged out service or be in the shop for one little minor problem after another.

contrails15

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 5):
Also it looks like a piece of gse that will always be tagged out service or be in the shop for one little minor problem after another.

couldn't agree more on that one.

JETPILOT

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Looks like something that will be broken all the time parked in a corner waiting for parts.

HAWK21M

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Quoting jetpilot (Reply 7):

Looks like something that will be broken all the time parked in a corner waiting for parts.

Looks like multiple patrs seem to be the reason for that thought.....

737tdi

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:08 pm

I, like some of y'all, think that reliability would be horrible. Just watching this in use, I would bet there are lockout switches on all of the ramps moving parts. One of these switches goes bad and the unit will be useless until repaired, not to mention the usual problems with a conventional loader. JMO.

dlramp4life
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 pm

http://www.proairaviacao.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2010/equipamentos/proair-belt-loader-tug-grupo-protege.jpg

Simple, reliable, user friendly...That is what you need for GSE to run a safe and smooth ramp operation.

SXDFC

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:53 am

For those who are interested, here is the "Ramp Snake" in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nijhC8PR_ug
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

HAWK21M

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:06 am

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 10):
That is what you need for GSE to run a safe and smooth ramp operation.

I've seen some with the Fuel tank,Battery & Engine located at one point,thats a huge fire hazard.....

JRadier

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I have had a hands-on demonstration of the RampSnake at SAS in Copenhagen in a 737 belly mock-up with full weight baggage. I am 2m/6'6" with a weak back and no ramp handling experience. With the rampsnake I was able to load the entire bin without any strain on my back (and believe me, I can feel it if it does..), which is terrific from a health and safety point of view. From what I've heard the reliability (of the latest models, the originals were pretty bad) are not much worse than normal belt loaders.

That said, most of the comments (mine included) are from people that seem not to have actually used it. Is there someone here that uses it on a regular basis?
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

contrails15

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 13):
That said, most of the comments (mine included) are from people that seem not to have actually used it. Is there someone here that uses it on a regular basis?

Probably not because the thing looks like it costs 5x that of a regular beltloader. Company has got to be out of there mind to buy a fleet of these things. This is my opinion. On a side note, I showed the video to my fellow ramp co workers and all thought it was ridiculous. When you have a turn time of 45mins with 180 something coming off and 200 plus going on, this thing looks like its just gonna take up your time. Old fashion way works for me but to each is own.

JRadier

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 pm

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 14):
Probably not because the thing looks like it costs 5x that of a regular beltloader. Company has got to be out of there mind to buy a fleet of these things. This is my opinion. On a side note, I showed the video to my fellow ramp co workers and all thought it was ridiculous. When you have a turn time of 45mins with 180 something coming off and 200 plus going on, this thing looks like its just gonna take up your time. Old fashion way works for me but to each is own.

The thing is, KLM and SAS have a big fleet of them, and as far as I know they are happy with them. That's why I was wondering if someone actually had experience with them instead of more 'I think', 'it looks like' etc. Could it be that labour laws in Europe are more restrictive?
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 15):
Could it be that labour laws in Europe are more restrictive?

Labour laws or not, labour in northern Europe is probably the most expensive in the world, so that's probably a factor.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

contrails15

Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 15):
The thing is, KLM and SAS have a big fleet of them, and as far as I know they are happy with them. That's why I was wondering if someone actually had experience with them instead of more 'I think', 'it looks like' etc. Could it be that labour laws in Europe are more restrictive?

Our insurance deductible is $10,000 USD for on the job injuries and with that said it still doesn't make sense for companies to pay for such an extravagant piece of equipment or thing as I like to call it. The other side to this is that your not finding anyone with experience on it which is not surprising because of what an investment it is. You say KLM and SAS have a fleet of them. Whats a fleet? 10, 20, 30 ect ect. We have 72 belt loaders alone at our hub. Just doesn't make sense to have them especially when everything is a numbers game to airlines these days. However, smaller stations perhaps where man power fluxuates. Then I can see it but even then at least with my company I could never see them getting these and we work on E190's heavily where this could actually be of some us to some.

cotparampguy

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:38 am

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 17):

Send 6 of those beltloaders down to FLL please! Thanks!