seb146
Topic Author

Feeder Airlines

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:06 pm

If anyone has a better suggestion for a title, feel free to change it.

Looking at flightstats.com, I saw Shuttle America. I then looked for pictures here because, back in the day, different airlines had different tail colors. Shuttle America has eiher DL or UA tail colors. SkyWest does a similar thing. What is the advantage of having a smaller airline, calling it a different name, but keeping all the same colors as the parent airline?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Polot

RE: Feeder Airlines

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm a little confused on what you are asking. DL/UA are not Shuttle America's parent company, in fact most legacy carriers no longer have any ownership over any regional carrier. Regional carriers are separate companies operating on behalf of a legacy carrier operating smaller planes at lower costs than what the main airline could afford to fly themselves. The smaller airline gets the benefit of the marketing/network/name recognition of the mainline airline. Regional carriers have various subsidiaries to get around various scope and competition clauses found in their contract with the mainline airline.

pilotpip

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:12 pm

Polot did a good job explaining. The reason our aircraft are painted in UA/DL colors is because of branding. We are contracted by UA/DL to fly passengers that are paying to fly on their airline. We sell no tickets directly. With a multitude of regional carriers flying for the majors, they want a similiar customer service experience.
DMI

Ratypus

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Lufthansa does this pretty well in Europe too - their 'Cityline' brand is a separate airline, and they also pay Augsburg Airways to fly some LH flights in and out of MUC. Augsburg Airways do not sell any of their own flights directly (as far as I know), and the flights operate under LH flight numbers....BUT the plane is owned and crewed by non-LH personnel.

As for the plane, it is branded to look very similar to the LH planes, although it says "Augsburg Airways" on the side rather than LH. Service/miles etc are all equivalent to and based on LH model.

Fabo

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:37 pm

As long as we are talking LH group...

Austrian Arrows is still operated by Tyrolean. If you are attentive, you may still see bits and pieces of Tyrolean branding here and there in operation.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT