mel

Int'l Flight In Japan -what Does This "this Guy" Do?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 am

Throughout the past few years, I've been traveling through Japan, and photographing a lot at Narita, Haneda, and Nagoya. At Narita I have noticed that (at least for international departures) there's an "officer" who stands near the nose of the aircraft, doing absolutely nothing during preparations for departure - or during turnarounds. Does anyone know what this person is actually assigned to do? Are they involved with customs, or are they watching for ground accidents involving the airplane? This has always been a curious job to me. Was wondering if anyone knew.

example photo:

United 747-400 @ Tokyo Narita airport
NO URLS in signature

petera380

Int'l Flight In Japan -what Does This "this Guy" Do?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:29 pm

That will be for security fo US bound flights I would imagine.

planesailing

RE: Int'l Flight In Japan -what Does This "this Guy" Do?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Quoting MEL (Thread starter):
Throughout the past few years, I've been traveling through Japan, and photographing a lot at Narita, Haneda, and Nagoya. At Narita I have noticed that (at least for international departures) there's an "officer" who stands near the nose of the aircraft, doing absolutely nothing during preparations for departure - or during turnarounds. Does anyone know what this person is actually assigned to do? Are they involved with customs, or are they watching for ground accidents involving the airplane? This has always been a curious job to me. Was wondering if anyone knew.

Is it just for US airlines aircraft?

In which case, they have a requirement for the turnaround to be secure, therefore people are employeed to guard the aircraft. They will check anyone who comes on to the stand and their ID's as well as a pat down search.