Topic Author
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:12 am

Canadian CPL To Australian Casa CPL

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Hello all,
I'm currently looking at moving to Australia and would like to know what it takes and how much it would cost to make the conversion from a Canadian CPL to an Australian (CASA) CPL...
I've read a few forums online, nothing too useful and the CASA website I found was a bit too simplified and didn't go into much detail.

I have my Multi-engine and Instrument Ratings (ME-IR) and I read that I could just pass an Air Law and Instrumentation written test, and just present my current license and would get it all done... but I just don't think it's that simple.

Anyone who has done it or is doing it, could you please give me some guidance?

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Flying under the clouds above!
Posts: 2390
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:11 am

RE: Canadian CPL To Australian Casa CPL

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:31 pm

It may very well be that simple.

I'm not an expert by any means, but some times it does literally work like moving to another country with a driving licence - you just show them your old one, maybe have to pass a written test, then you get a new licence.

I'd fire them off an e-mail detailing your situation and see if they can help.

Failing that, call them up. A skype account will make it a lot cheaper if you add a few Euros credit rather than paying a high per minute rate to Australia!
User avatar
Posts: 11209
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

RE: Canadian CPL To Australian Casa CPL

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:25 am

Quoting Aeolus (Thread starter):

Firstly, to work in Australia, you should have the right to work, assuming you will, you can do a few things before leaving Canada.

You will need to open a file with CASA, they call this an Aviation Reference Number (ARN), everything you do relating to flying will be on this file, you will also need a security check, it is a requirement in Australia to hold a pilots licence. You can make the ARN and security checks applications while you are in Canada, it can take a month or more to process. They will issue you a letter with your ARN and a ID card that you will need to get airside on most airports when completed. You should also send in the form for the CPL licence conversion.

The appropriate forms are Form 1162 (ARN), Form 498 (ASIC), and Form 213 (CPL conversion), these are all available for download off the CASA website under "Manuals and Forms". I would also attach a letter to the application to authorize Transport Canada to release your licence details to CASA, download the CASA Form 078 and use it as a template to write a letter, where it says CASA, change it to Transport Canada. I do not know if TC needs this, but providing it with the forms removes any doubt and will cut down the processing time, also include your email address, and state it is okay for them to contact you by email if they need any further information. It may take 2 weeks for a letter to reach you, it is all about cutting down the processing time. Australian privacy laws prohibit CASA from releasing of your information or contacting you by electronic means unless you have given them prior permission.

If you fly any multi-engine aircraft in Canada, you may want to bring these across to the Australian licence, you need to be "endorsed" on each complex aircraft in Australia, e.g. BE76, PA31, PC12.You need to get the documentation needed from Canada to support the application while you are still there.

On Form 213, under aircraft endorsements, you will want to tick everything you can prove you have flown. Next to "other" put all multi-engine aircraft that you have flown, in Australia you have to do a separate endowment for each type, e.g. BE76, C310, PC12, all of the endorsements available are listed in CAO 40.1.0. Also tick anything else like tail wheel, floats, skies, variable pitch if you can prove you have flown them.
This is what they are after, while you are in Canada get the paperwork together (also have a look at Form 209 to see what information they are trying to obtain)

Evidence that he or she holds the overseas endorsement. This can be an endorsed licence or other authorisation issued by the responsible aviation authority that issued the licence permitting the pilot to fly the specified aircraft in that country eg, certification of validation (if the endorsement was obtained in that country), or Special Purpose Pilot Authorisation issued by the FAA to pilots flying US-registered aircraft overseas in some circumstances (issued as command or co-pilot); or
Documents confirming the successful completion of an appropriate training course, as well as details of the course; and
Statement from the responsible aviation authority in the country/state confirming that the training completed qualifies the person for the issue of an endorsement in that country/state and would have been put on a licence if the person held a licence.
Original logbooks
Form 639 Flight Crew Photo ID/Student Pilot Licence Application
Form 209 Aircraft Endorsement on the Basis of Overseas Qualifications Application
Any other documentation that supports the application for recognition of the endorsement
(For example, letters of approval from overseas aviation authorities authorising the pilots for check duties on the aircraft type)
Note: Applicants applying for an endorsement at the same time as a pilot authorisation use Form 213 CASA Authorisation on the basis of Overseas Qualifications Application.

So you will want to send off form 1162, 498, 213, letter to release information from TC, evidence of type flown, as well as certified copies of your TC licence, medical certificate and logbook extract. I am not sure if they will be used to the new TC booklet licence, make sure you send the ID page, the licence page, your latest PPC page, and medical page. They should contact TC anyway to get the details verified. KEEP A COPY OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND, if possible, also scan in each form/ piece of information.

It maybe useful to scan in each form and email them to CASA at and ask hem if they will need any further information before you post it off, and if them will accept the Transport Canada language proficiency.

You will need a medical, I do not think you will be able to do this in Canada before you leave. For the initial issue of a Class1 medical you need a physical and an eye examination, I looked at the CASA website, I could not see any CASA Designated Aviation Ophthalmologists listed in North America.

You will need to do at least two "written" exams, which are multiple choice. The exams are CPL human factors and CPL air law, you may also need to do an English language test, depending if CASA will recognize the LP on the TC licence (my TC licence just says LP EN, it does not list the ICAO level). You cannot walk into a CASA office and write the exams (like TC), they are done by an external provider, ASL which does the CyberExams, you will need to book the exams with them, and sit the multiple choice exams on their computers at one of their testing centres. This is similar to laser grade or CATS for the FAA exams, however not as flexible. You cannot book an exam until you have your ARN issued by CASA. Any questions you got wring will be listed on the knowledge defiance report (KDR), do not misplace the KDR or exam results, you need it for your flight test.

Once you have passed those two exams, have an English PC, medical, ASIC, you can do your CPL flight test. That will give you a day VFR CPL. As part of the oral for the CPL, as well as asking you all the topic areas on the back of the CPL test form (Form 090), you will also be asked questions from your KDR.

This is from Form 213

For conversion of CPLA, CPLH and ATPH
For overseas pilots who wish to convert their CPLA, CPLH or ATPH licences the following is required;
1. Fill out and lodge form 1162
2. Read and comply with the requirements for issue of an ASIC or AVID; fill out and lodge form 498 or 499(AVID) or for an AVID
3. Send in Form 1162, 213 and certified copies of overseas licence, medical certificate and logbook extract. This will allow CASA to grant the applicant an Aviation Reference Number (ARN) and subsequent access to CyberExams. This will additionally allow the applicant to book and sit the relevant exams with ASL
4. Obtain an Australian Medical Certificate (minimum of Class 2)
5. Pass the relevant theory exam (CLWA for Commercial Aeroplane; CLWH for
Commercial Helicopter or CLWH, Human Factors CHUF and AALW for ATP Helicopter)
6. Meet the English Language Proficiency standards. (Must have ICAO level endorsed on licence or a completed Australian assessment form. Licence stating English Proficient is not acceptable)
7. Pass the relevant flight test (not required for ATP(H) conversion)
8. Complete and send the required application forms;

To get the instrument rating, you will need to sit the instrument rating exam, it is a fair bit harder than the TC INRAT one. Once you have passed that, then you can do your instrument rating flight test. Same as the CPL theory exams, keep the KDR as they will ask questions from those deficiency areas.

A number of schools do licence conversions and train foreign students all the time, best to go with one that does that sort of thing as they know the process. It is mainly a paperwork exercise that you can do before you leave, the flying in Australia outside the capital cities is mainly class G, and the services available can be very limited.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BravoOne, Francoflier and 2 guests

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos