smartt1982
Topic Author

Large Amount Of Rivets, Right Side Of 737 Cockpit

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 pm

HI,

Was sitting in the cockpit jump seat of 737 NG the other day and noticed on the right side bulkhead (where 1st observer O2 and Data loading connection are located) there appears to be a large amount of rivets in the bulkhead, looks like the hull of a ship. This seems to be in contrast to the left side where there does not to be as many?

Whats the reason for this?

amccann

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Did you happen to see the outside of the airplane? Or possibly the tail number? If you caught either of those you could look at pictures and determine if there is an external doubler on the RHS. However without tail number, I would still imagine if there is a large amount of rivets on the RHS and not the LHS, in presumably an area that sees equal loads on the RHS and LHS there is probably an external doubler on the RHS.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. - Ronald Reagan

MD11Engineer

Tue May 01, 2012 4:40 am

Quoting amccann (Reply 1):
Did you happen to see the outside of the airplane? Or possibly the tail number? If you caught either of those you could look at pictures and determine if there is an external doubler on the RHS. However without tail number, I would still imagine if there is a large amount of rivets on the RHS and not the LHS, in presumably an area that sees equal loads on the RHS and LHS there is probably an external doubler on the RHS.

The location specified (Obs O2 mask, data loading receptacle) would be the inboard side of the P6 panel, well inside the aircraft.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

smartt1982
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 am

Hiya,

Apologies meant to clarify, this is inside the cockpit, on the righthand side internal bulkhead after you have just entered the cockpit. I cannot seem to find the photo I took, I will take another one today and add it.

Many Thanks

HAWK21M

RE: Large Amount Of Rivets, Right Side Of 737 Cockpit

Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Looks like the aft of P6 CB panel.....awaiting the picture......
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

yeelep

Sun May 06, 2012 12:22 am

I can only guess that the left side has countersunk rivets on the inboard face due to the location of the 2nd observers seat. The rivet spacing seems the be similar on each side, there is just more structure on the right side so more rivets.

CCA

Sun May 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Been many many years since I've touched a rivet gun however 5D ( 5 x diameter) came to mind as a fairly standard spacing of rivets, 4-8D is mentioned below from a quick online search.

Quote:
Rivet spacing, also referred as rivet pitch, is the distance between the rivets in the same row, and is measured from the rivet center to the rivet center.Transverse pitch is the distance between the rows of rivets, and is measured from the rivet center to rivet center. Edge distance is the distance from the center of the rivet to the edge of the material being riveted. There  are  no  specific  rules  that  apply  to  every case or type of riveting. There are, however, certain general  rules  that  should  be  followed.

RIVET SPACING.— Rivet spacing (pitch) depends  upon  several  factors,  principally  the thickness of the sheet, the diameter of the rivets, and the  manner  in  which  the  sheet  will  be  stressed.  Rivet spacing should never be less than three times the rivet diameter. Spacing is seldom less than four times the diameter nor more than eight times the diameter.
P1 in A330, A340, A346, B742, B744, B748.