smartt1982
Topic Author

Engine Out Missed Approach

Thu May 31, 2012 3:54 pm

What places have you flown to where there is a prescribed engine out missed approach, is it common to see? Is the alternative action vary much from place to place?

In the EASA CS-25 or FAR 25 for 2 engine Class A Aircraft the certified climb gradient is only 2.1% for an approach climb scenario.

At most airports the nominal missed approach Climb gradient is 2.5%.

Has this arisen from the two authorities not liaising with each other or are they not required to do so?

Were an Airline flies to a destination where there is a chance one of its aircraft if it lost an engine on the approach and would not be able to make the 2.5% missed approach.
Whose responsibility is it too come up with another option, the airline or airport/authority? In the case of en EFATO and an Emergency Turn it is my understanding that the airline comes up with a plan, who approves that?

I would imagine this might be quite difficult as the normal missed approach is probably the best fit and trying to come up with something else in the case of engine failure sounds a bit troublesome!

SlamClick

RE: Engine Out Missed Approach

Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 pm

Speaking only for US domestic ops, there are a number of places, KRNO for example where a specific feet-per-nautical-mile gradient is required OR some sort of RNAV engine-out missed must be flown. I expect to see more and more of these over time.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.