GSPFlyer

Jet Fuel Burned Per Pax?

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:25 am

Ok guys, I have a question. It is something that I am doing for work, we are gathering statistics for our sustainability report, and need to know the fuel burned per dollar spent on air travel. All we have to go by is the amount that we have spent on air travel for our employees. Before anyone goes crazy and calculates this, DON'T DO IT! I am just looking for the best method to go about doing this. We are assuming all flights that we purchase are domestic.

What I have done so far is calculate the average cost, per mile, of a round-trip, domestic, economy class ticket, and came up with approx. $0.21.

Now is the part that I am not sure what to do. I have begun calculating aircraft that are owned and operated by U.S. carriers, only narrow-body and domestically configured wide-body aircraft. I know there are some narrow-bodies on International routes, and Internationally configured aircraft on domestic routes, but this figure doesn't need to be perfect). Next I was thinking of figuring out what percent of seats are on what kind of aircraft, and then bringing in average fuel burn....

What do you all suggest? Thanks in advance guys!

sunrisevalley

RE: Jet Fuel Burned Per Pax?

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:42 pm

For Boeing 737NG you could start at the link below. For the A320 compared to the 737-800 I think you could assume a little more burn at 500nm and a little less at 1000nm.
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/startup/pdf/737ng_perf.pdf

WingedMigrator

RE: Jet Fuel Burned Per Pax?

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Quoting GSPflyer (Thread starter):
What do you all suggest?

Look at revenue and expense statements of domestic airlines. For example: in 2011 JetBlue had $4 billion of passenger revenue and $1.7 billion of fuel expenses. That means about 40% of the average ticket in 2011 paid for fuel. You will need to factor in how much more your employees pay than the average passenger, regardless of method.