contrails67

Headphone Questions

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:13 pm

While flying on a QR 240 flight to TRV in J class, the purser allowed me to keep the QR provided headphones for watching IFE.

My questions are as follows:

1. Since my plane was an A321, are the headphones only good for A321 IFE's or can they be good for all QR fleets?
2. Since I have not flown as much as many others, I'm not sure if these headphones are good for use on other airlines and their fleets. Is there such a thing as a universal headphone? When I requested to keep the headphones, my thinking was that I can use them on any airline, regardless of plane type, but need verification of this?
3. Can the BOSE headphones work on IFE's or is it purely for noise-canceling?

Starlionblue

RE: Headphone Questions

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Quoting Contrails67 (Thread starter):
1. Since my plane was an A321, are the headphones only good for A321 IFE's or can they be good for all QR fleets?

It depends but they will probably work on other aircraft and other airlines if said aircraft and airlines use the socket.

2. Since I have not flown as much as many others, I'm not sure if these headphones are good for use on other airlines and their fleets. Is there such a thing as a universal headphone? When I requested to keep the headphones, my thinking was that I can use them on any airline, regardless of plane type, but need verification of this?

Almost. You can get an "airplane adapter" (they're cheap) that splits a standard 3.5mm headphone plug into a two-prong aircraft plug. That will work on most aircraft with a two-prong socket, though there are exceptions with some of the newer IFE systems in my experience.

3. Can the BOSE headphones work on IFE's or is it purely for noise-canceling?

Sure, with an airplane adapter.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo