egph
Topic Author

El Al Eastbound Flightplans

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey all,

Just a quick question to ask those of you who may be more informed than I about the flight-plans El Al have for their eastbound flights into Asia. I notice that for example LY071 TLV-BOM would overfly Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran and the UAE if we take a straight line between the two airports. LY081 TLV-BKK would see a significant overflight of Iraq, Iran and Pakistan if we take a straight line flight. My question is bearing in mind Israel's reputation in the aforementioned countries are El Al planes given safe passage or are significant diversions made by El Al to avoid said countries (would have to be drastic in the case of LY081)?

Kind regards

Anna

Viscount724

RE: El Al Eastbound Flightplans

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting egph (Thread starter):
are El Al planes given safe passage or are significant diversions made by El Al to avoid said countries (would have to be drastic in the case of LY081)?

No, those flights have never overflown Arab countries. They normally fly down the Red Sea and then turn left over the Indian Ocean, adding about 2 hours to the flight time on those routes compared to the most direct routing.

For example, LY block time TLV-BKK is 11:15, compared to RJ's block time AMM-BKK of only 9:05. AMM is only 59 nm from TLV so great circle distances are almost identical.

LY also had to use a devious routing over the Mediterranean on the TLV-GRU route to avoid overflying several countries in Africa. They dropped that route last November.

[Edited 2012-06-10 14:57:11]

egph
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for clarifying that  

rfields5421

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:45 pm

El Al also cannot overfly Malaysia.

jetblueguy22

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:10 pm

How do they remain competitive with having to avoid countries like that? Certainly two extra hours of flight time would add plenty of costs onto a route to make it tough to compete on.
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

Viscount724

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 4):
How do they remain competitive with having to avoid countries like that? Certainly two extra hours of flight time would add plenty of costs onto a route to make it tough to compete on.

Any other airline is going to require a connection so the total elapsed time, even with the devious routing, isn't going to be any longer than any other carrier. Obviously it adds a lot to operating costs but that's a factor LY has faced for their entire existence when you consider their security expenses, as well as the fact that they only operate 6 days a week.