spiritair97
Topic Author

Sydney Air Traffic Patterns

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 pm

I see there are pictures of aircraft taking off from SYD in ONE direction, with aircraft landing in the background in the OTHER direction. Why do they do that? How do they control the air traffic flow? Isn't the direction of landings/takeoffs based on wind, so isn't this kind of defeating the purpose?

captainstefan

RE: Sydney Air Traffic Patterns

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:47 pm

All I really know is that it's referred to as SODPROPS, or Simultaneous Opposite Direction Parallel Runway Operations. I believe it's put into use when when the wind is runway-neutral (calm/variable to where one set of runways gains no advantage over the other). In general (not just at SYD), it's used in order to comply with noise abatement regulations, weather, other hazards, and to minimize taxi times for aircraft (for example at SYD where the terminals are much closer to one end of the runways than the other).
Long Live the Tulip!

skyhawkmatthew

RE: Sydney Air Traffic Patterns

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Quoting captainstefan (Reply 1):

Exactly. Sydney Airport is oriented with the north-south (16/34) runways sticking out into Botany Bay. SODPROPS allows all flights to arrive and depart over the water, significantly reducing noise impact.

This Airservices Australia page contains details on all the 'modes of operation' of Sydney Airport:

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...port-and-associated-airspace-ltop/
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.