Topic Author

WN Gate Agent Information?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:28 am

I'm very interested in becoming an agent for Southwest. Looking for general to even detailed information regarding these positions including scheduling and pay.

My background is as a flight attendant for a legacy carrier- with previous experience (six years ago) as a cross utilized agent for a regional carrier.

RE: WN Gate Agent Information?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:32 am

flyboy80, if there is a way for you to get this question to member Atrude777, I think he currently is, or previously was, a customer service agent for Southwest in St. Louis.

RE: WN Gate Agent Information?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm

I have known a lot of CSA's (Customer Service Agents) who have gone on to be F/As. Some F/As do go on to become CSA's but it is usually the other way around. The jobs are similar (Customer Service and Safety) so if you have demonstrated that you perform well in the F/A role an airline won't doubt your ability to perform in the CSA role.

Southwest is different from most carriers in that they have Customer Service Agents and Operations Agents. Customer Service Agents work the ticket counter and customer service counter at the gate. The Operations Agent is the one responsible for actually boarding the flight, planning weight and balance and communicating with the flight crew. I believe the starting pay for both jobs is around $11.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.