lax888

Gate Assignement At HKG

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:08 am

Hello there

Just wondering if anybody has some insight to gate assignements at HKG.

I know that gates 1-4 are reserved for CX as they are close to the Wing lounge and immigration.

It seems that LX always gets gate 21 and BA always gates 17-19. Thai always has a gate around 40-45 and CX seems to have a lot of South East Asian flights going from gates 60-70.

Is there any logic behind it or can airlines really "book" a gate for their ops? Does it cost extra to have certain gates closer to immigration etc.?

It is also surprising that LCCs use the normal gates usually and are rarely bussed to the plane. Also they rarely seem to use the midfield dock which I find much more inconvenient.

Thanks for any input!

CX Flyboy

RE: Gate Assignement At HKG

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Basically the Airport Authority tries to place airlines near the lounges. There is a Star Alliance lounge in the middle of the 'Y' shape of the terminal, hence where you find airlines like UA, TG , AC and LH. There are CX lounges near Gates 1-4 as you say, and also the 60s also in the 'Y' hence you will find CX's concentrating around there. Some other airlines tend to be scattered elsewhere for reasons I do not really know. The airport is getting busier these days and it is getting to the stage where it is hard to assign the same gates for the same airlines as they will often be occupied. It will only get worse until the next terminal is built.

FlyboyOz

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:29 am

Quoting LAX888 (Thread starter):
CX seems to have a lot of South East Asian flights going from gates 60-70.

Also fly to Australia as well.

Cathay Pacific that flies to three Australia cities put their aircraft around the neighbour gates - between Gate 68, 69 and 70. It is because of security reasons - the security guards must check all the pax bags to make sure there's no large and heavy bottles inside the bags.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

lax888

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:54 am

Thanks for the input so far!!

Very interesting.