QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

Odd Object On DC8 Nose

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:00 am

In the Hawaii Five-O original 1968 opening are several shots of DC-8s including a fisheye shot of one. In the video, at precisely :30 thru :31 seconds, is the fisheye shot with an object attached to the nose. Here's a shot of it as well. What is that?
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

pliersinsight

RE: Odd Object On DC8 Nose

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:06 am

Air conditioning on the ground?

Didn't the nose of the DC-8 contain ports responsible for the pressurization system and cooling of the compressed air as it didn't use engine bleed as is done today?

Starlionblue

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 1):
Didn't the nose of the DC-8 contain ports responsible for the pressurization system and cooling of the compressed air as it didn't use engine bleed as is done today?

Yepp. Same as on top of the 707 engine intakes (3 of them if memory serves).
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

longhauler

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Are you sure that's a DC-8 nose? It doesn't look like one to me.

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 1):
Didn't the nose of the DC-8 contain ports responsible for the pressurization system

Yes, there were 4 Turbo Compressors under the cockpit. They were powered by engine bleed air, and as you state, they pressurized the aircraft.

There were large air inlets on the nose, two on each side. I would have thought you would see them with the shot shown.

When gound cooling air was added, it was attached to the underside right side, just forward of the wing, not on the nose.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 2):
Same as on top of the 707 engine intakes (3 of them if memory serves).

Yes, in the early days, it was thought that engine bleed air was not "safe" enough to pressurize the aircraft directly. As you state, there were 3 on the B707, (except AA which had 2) and 2 on the B720.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Crosswind

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:25 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Allan Rossmore

This photo seems to show what you're talking about, as well as the ground air-conditioning hose that longhauler mentions.

I suspect the hose attached to the nose is the HP line supplying pressurised air for engine start, but could well be wrong on that!

Regards
CROSSWIND

Viscount724

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 3):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 2):
Same as on top of the 707 engine intakes (3 of them if memory serves).

Yes, in the early days, it was thought that engine bleed air was not "safe" enough to pressurize the aircraft directly. As you state, there were 3 on the B707, (except AA which had 2) and 2 on the B720.

I believe at least a few other carriers also had only 2 turbocompressors on 707s. I've read that Air India only had 2 on their original 707-420s (R-R Conways) but on those engines you couldn't tell visually as the engine pylons were the same, whether or not they contained a turbocompressor, unlike the JT3D pylons..

fr8mech

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Quoting Crosswind (Reply 4):
I suspect the hose attached to the nose is the HP line supplying pressurised air for engine start, but could well be wrong on that!

It's the airstart hose. Not really HP air. Looking at 35-40 psi with high volume.

The yellow hose in 4 is conditioned air.

And, I'm sure that's not an 8 in the OP.

[Edited 2012-07-05 15:27:05]
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

longhauler

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Looking at the Eastern DC-8 in Reply 4, I change my mind, I think in the OP it is a DC-8.

Look at where the air-start hose is attached, not the yellow conditioned air hose, but the smaller hose attached between the air inlets for the TCs. (I missed it the first time).

Now imagine, using a fish eye lens, from the area of the nose gear looking up and ahead, and you would get the image shown. The two TC air inlets would be the "bumps" on either side of the hose, and the rest of the nose you wouldn't see because of the angle.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

WrenchBender

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:09 pm

It is indeed Engine Starting Air hookup.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

fr8mech

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:39 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 7):
Looking at the Eastern DC-8 in Reply 4, I change my mind, I think in the OP it is a DC-8.

I don't know...the gear doors don't look right for a DC-8. The fisheye may be screwing up my perspective, but they just don't look like DC-8 gear doors.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

longhauler

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:21 am

I checked my old DC-8 manuals, and yes indeed, that is where the air-start hose is attached ... between the TC air inlets on the nose. It makes sense, as every start will be a start with external pneumatic air, may as well make it some where well clear of the engines. (At least with earlier DC-8s)

Not like today, when an external pneumatic air start requires that only one engine be started as the hose is attached between the engines, and the truck must be parked near one of the engines.