ultrapig
Topic Author

Questions Regarding Aircraft Lease Rates

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:24 pm

I know that sometimes when a plane is leased as opposed to being bought and financed on a "mortgage" the lessee is require to escrow $x per hour for maintainance.

But are these lease written like car leases so that if an airline, for instance, runs more than z hours per month, year or lease term there is a penalty just like one might pay a penalty on a car lease wher eyou went over mileage.

Finally, does a large airline like United have someone not only calculating which type of airplane should be used on a flight but figuring out whether a particular frame of the same type of plane should be used based on age, and whther it is leased or owned?

Didn't see this topic discussed before if it has direct me.

lhcvg

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Quoting ultrapig (Thread starter):
Finally, does a large airline like United have someone not only calculating which type of airplane should be used on a flight but figuring out whether a particular frame of the same type of plane should be used based on age, and whther it is leased or owned?

That happens to some extent, but keep in mind that they have to balance that against efficiency and mx. Take DL's 757 fleet - they have numerous subfleets flying now (though they are working to standardize a bit), some with only a handful of frames. To be sure, they consider issues of Frame X and Frame Y being suitable/optimal for a given route while Frame A is not. However, Frame A still needs to see an mx base periodically, or it may also be better used to do a JFK-LAX-JFK turn in between int'l legs if it otherwise will just sit for half a day unused (assuming no incremental line mx is needed). In short, they examine these things, but overall fleet and network efficiency and demand impacts that calculus in addition to those frame-specific factors you mention.

KFlyer

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm

As the second part of the question has already been answered.. For the first part, it depends on the contract. For a wet lease, aka ACMI, you are required to be bound by a set limit of hours. For an operating lease, where it is your crew and your own mx, there is often no such limit.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.