BRJ

Delta Catering Question

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:23 am

Was on Delta flight this past Friday and was reading interview in Sky Magazine with the CEO of Delta and American Express. One of the last topics discussed was the catering specifics. For example, how Delta has Japanese meals on flights to Tokyo. Anderson then mentions that there is no rice served on flights to Africa. This caught me off guard.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is the case? Or could it have been a misprint of sorts?

jetjack74

RE: Delta Catering Question

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:32 am

Quoting brj (Thread starter):
For example, how Delta has Japanese meals on flights to Tokyo. Anderson then mentions that there is no rice served on flights to Africa. This caught me off guard.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is the case? Or could it have been a misprint of sorts?

Enlighten you on what specifically? We have a Japanese selection because the market calls for it. Out of SEA to NRT/KIX, we almost always run out of it. So are you asking if it's served with rice? Yes
Made from jets!

BRJ

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:37 am

Yes it makes complete sense that rice is served with the Japanese meals!

Sorry, I should have specified that more clearly.
The part that I don't understand is why rice isn't served on flights to/from Africa.
I lived in West Africa, rice was eaten pretty regularly.

My apologies for the vagueness.

mplsjefe

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 1):
Enlighten you on what specifically? We have a Japanese selection because the market calls for it. Out of SEA to NRT/KIX, we almost always run out of it. So are you asking if it's served with rice? Yes

He is asking why there is no rice served on the flights to Africa.

sunking737

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:49 am

Quoting mplsjefe (Reply 3):
He is asking why there is no rice served on the flights to Africa.

Not in their diet ??
Just an MSPAVGEEK

burnsie28

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:55 am

Quoting brj (Reply 2):
I lived in West Africa, rice was eaten pretty regularly.

Could that have been because it's the most affordable option for many?

david21487

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Quoting brj (Reply 2):
The part that I don't understand is why rice isn't served on flights to/from Africa.

Rice is definitely served on flights to Africa. The two hot entree choices in coach are chicken with rice or beef with rice.

There were a lot of complaints last year, specifically on the LOS flight, because the economy meals were NOT served with rice. There was a choice of pasta or chicken with some sort of stuffing on the side. No one on that flight wanted pasta and the stuffing just went right into the trash. It was brought up numerous times on company conference calls and eventually the catering was changed accordingly.

I'm not sure why SkyMagazine would say that.
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

BRJ

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:38 pm

It didn't make any sense to me either. I tried to link it here from their website, but subscription is required. I even read it again and then showed it to my mom sitting next to me. We both thought it was odd.

I'm guessing it's a mis-print somehow.

FI642

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Rice is a staple in many African diets. Some of the best rice I've eaten was prepared in East Africa.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.