smartt1982
Topic Author

Hot MCP Buttons

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Have noticed recently on some of our older 737NGs (but not actually that old, just relative to others in the fleet!) that the MCP buttons seem to get quite hot to the touch, it the unit like your home computer where if too much dirt/dust gets in the cooling fan is not going to keep it adequately cooled? It is just the cockpits are pretty dirty/dusty at the best of times, could all this dust be blocked areas that need to be cooled, such as the MCP unit etc. Would this have a detrimental effect on the life of the unit?

Mir

RE: Hot MCP Buttons

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:43 pm

If there are light bulbs behind the buttons that light up when one is pressed, that will make the button itself hot to the touch when the light is on, and that's very common. Otherwise, it's probably just exhaust heat from the electronics in the panel. I doubt it has much effect on the life of the unit.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

737tdi

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:54 am

The 737NG has two suppliers of MCP's but both have 2 bulbs behind the button and they do get quite hot when activated. FYI, we can't change the bulbs on the Honeywell unit like we can on the Collins (or I might have that backwards). If the buttons are flush with the face of the MCP we have to replace the whole unit for a 2 cent bulb.

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am

Blame the Integral lights....they can really heat up over a period of time.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

FlyHossD

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Quoting smartt1982 (Thread starter):
Have noticed recently on some of our older 737NGs (but not actually that old, just relative to others in the fleet!) that the MCP buttons seem to get quite hot to the touch, it the unit like your home computer where if too much dirt/dust gets in the cooling fan is not going to keep it adequately cooled? It is just the cockpits are pretty dirty/dusty at the best of times, could all this dust be blocked areas that need to be cooled, such as the MCP unit etc. Would this have a detrimental effect on the life of the unit?

Just a shot in the dark, but are the correct bulbs installed?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

smartt1982
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:34 pm

Quoting flyhossd (Reply 4):

I'm guessing so, but then you never know I suppose

737tdi

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 am

Quoting smartt1982 (Reply 5):
Quoting flyhossd (Reply 4):

I'm guessing so, but then you never know I suppose

I don't think you could install an incorrect bulb. They are extremely small and fit into the light assy. very tight. We have a tool that is specifically made to remove/install the bulb. Looks a bit like a small screwdriver but retains the bulb while installing.

FlyHossD

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 6):
I don't think you could install an incorrect bulb. They are extremely small and fit into the light assy. very tight. We have a tool that is specifically made to remove/install the bulb. Looks a bit like a small screwdriver but retains the bulb while installing.

As I recall, some of the smaller bulbs could fit into holes/sockets that they weren't intended for. That's why it was important to note the "model" or bulb number of the bulb being removed (so it would be replaced with a like bulb).

We didn't use any tools, just fingernails sufficed.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

737tdi

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 am

Quoting flyhossd (Reply 7):
As I recall, some of the smaller bulbs could fit into holes/sockets that they weren't intended for. That's why it was important to note the "model" or bulb number of the bulb being removed (so it would be replaced with a like bulb).

We didn't use any tools, just fingernails sufficed.

Not in this case. We have no other bulbs that even come close to fitting in this button. As far as doing the MCP button bulbs with your fingernails, yes it can be done but I have seen the 2 little springs that hold the button face broken more often then success of bulb replacement. These are not the normal cory lights, they are a button that hinges out and then the bulb is accessed. Very fragile.