wardialer
Topic Author

FAA Sectional Charts Viewing In Android?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Maybe I am in the wrong forum area but i will give this a try anyway.

I downloaded an aviation sectional chart for aviation and it is in TIFF image format. It opens up OK, but It appears that it does not want to zoom in all the way in order for me to see the data on there. I also tried renaming it to JPG, and does the same thing. When I try to zoom in, I'm unable to see the data on there and I cannot zoom in to the maximum.

I do have ES-File Explorer on there and no luck. And the built-in Gallery image viewer. Its an HTC Desire phone.

Just wish to look at these charts while I am on the road before I go flying.

Can anyone provide me some suggestions?

If anyone can download one of these charts and try it, please let me know the outcome. Maybe these image viewers on the Android are unable to handle images which are too long or narrow...
http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml...av/applications/VFR/chartlist_sect

Thanks

[Edited 2012-07-15 09:45:09]

[Edited 2012-07-15 09:46:47]

lightsaber
Crew

RE: FAA Sectional Charts Viewing In Android?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 am

I think you need an app for best viewing. Naviator has had ok reviews. But I'm not a pilot (I do flight test planning though...).

I do not yet see foreflight and some of the other iPad based apps for Android. Yet. I doubt Apple will license to integrate a tablet into the aircraft, so I expect integrated solutions to be either proprietary or Android based.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

NWADC9

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:35 am

If all you're after is viewing the chart, OpenFlight Map does just that. You can download low enroutes, sectionals, and WACs. It's very basic, and if you're wanting any more than a glorified image viewer, something like Naviator (subscription based, but more along the lines of what ForeFlight is to iOS) or NavZilla (free, but not a FAA-published chart viewer) would be better.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

wardialer
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:44 am

I do not need the moving map GPS feature.

I have these FAA Sectional charts which are in TIFF image format and I would like to view them on my phone.
What free viewer do you guys recommend for viewing Sectional charts?

Thanks.

KELPkid

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 am

Tried going to airnav.com? I can view their sectionals with no problems on my Android tablet, and I can pinch in and out. The site actually sends you to vfrmap.com for the sectionals....
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)