krisyyz
Topic Author

787 Flightdeck MFD Buttons

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi,

I'm unclear as to what the MFD buttons are used for on the 787s EFIS panel. Do they simply move the systems pages between the Capt's and the FO's inboard displays? Or do they split the inboard display so both the MFD and the ND can be viewed at the same time by both pilots? I know the EICAS is a single button on the 787 (either left or right inboard display), but both pilots have a duel MFD button (1 and 2). The system pages and checklist seems to be available on both inboard displays plus the lower MFD/CDU. What happens if both pilots press both MFD buttons so all 4 are lit up?

As you can see in this picture, the MFD “2” button is activate, the FTCL page is displayed on the FO's inboard, what would happen if the FO pressed the MFD “1” as well button?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © James Mellon

I hope you can understand my roundabout question!

Thanks,

KrisYYZ

tdscanuck

RE: 787 Flightdeck MFD Buttons

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting krisyyz (Thread starter):
I'm unclear as to what the MFD buttons are used for on the 787s EFIS panel. Do they simply move the systems pages between the Capt's and the FO's inboard displays?

They don't move anything; they tell the display system which MFD you want to command. Just hitting the MFD button doesn't do anything other than turn the light on (and turn other light off). To get a display change you'd have to select a page (the "6 pack" of buttons just below the MFD selectors).

Think of the MFD buttons as the display selector; it tells the display system what display you want future commands routed to.

Or do they split the inboard display so both the MFD and the ND can be viewed at the same time by both pilots?

The ND is just another display. The 787 has two PFD's (normally the two outboard physical screens) and EICAS (half a physical screen) that will always be displayed. The two inboard physical displays and the lower display are all divided in software into two MFD's per physical display (6 total). EICAS must occupy one of these, leaving 5 that the flight crew can put up anything they want.

The ND is one of the options; if you put the ND on two side-by-side MFD's the displays will merge together into the "mega map" that you see on the left side in the linked photo. You can have the ND only occuply one MFD (half a physical display) and put other stuff on the other side if you want to.

What happens if both pilots press both MFD buttons so all 4 are lit up?

They can't. Only one MFD light in each pair can be lit at a time. For the display with EICAS on it, only one MFD light can be illuminated (EICAS blocks the other MFD).

As you can see in this picture, the MFD “2” button is activate, the FTCL page is displayed on the FO's inboard, what would happen if the FO pressed the MFD “1” as well button?

Nothing. EICAS is on the FO's inboard #1 MFD so he can't select that MFD to command. He'd have to move EICAS to the left side, at which point he'd have access to MFD 1 and then he could pick any of the display buttons to put that display on the inboard display MFD 1.

Tom.

krisyyz
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks so much Tom! I really appreciate your detailed explanation, it cleared up all my questions.

KrisYYZ

BoeingGuy

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 pm

By the way, one of my huge pet peeves that my fellow Boeing employees and others don't follow anymore is using correct terminology.

The only "buttons" on the Flight Deck are on the Captain's shirt. We have Switches and Selectors on the Flight Deck. On things like the TCP or MCDU they are "keys".

That's the way I was taught. You push a switch.

Depress is what happens when you take away its Prozac. Press is what the dry cleaners does to your shirts.

So quick lesson in proper terminology which my colleagues don't even follow anymore. I heard "Press the Autopilot Engage button" all the time.......  

krisyyz
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 3):
The only "buttons" on the Flight Deck are on the Captain's shirt. We have Switches and Selectors on the Flight Deck. On things like the TCP or MCDU they are "keys".

duly noted!

KrisYYZ

tdscanuck

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 3):
By the way, one of my huge pet peeves that my fellow Boeing employees and others don't follow anymore is using correct terminology.

Mea culpa. Thank you for the reminder.

Tom.

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:21 am

Sorry to hijack but what are the red sleeves around the bottom of the control columns for?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

tdscanuck

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:06 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 6):
what are the red sleeves around the bottom of the control columns for?

Flight test hardware. Flight test aircraft frequently have independent force measurement on the column (you need those measurements to show the regulators the stick force per g data that goes into the longitudinal stability requirements).

Tom.