ben175

Pregnant Flight Attendants

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 am

Hi guys,

Yesterday I flew JQ HNL-SYD in J class and was absolutely shocked to find TWO pregnant flight attendants serving the cabin, one being due in 2-3 months! Now obviously if they are capable of their jobs and can keep passengers safe, this is obviously fine. However, the one more heavily pregnant simply used her pregnancy as an excuse not to do anything, for example saying to a very short women who couldn't reach the overhead compartment "Sorry I can't lift that bag, I'm six months pregnant."

I'm sorry, but if you can't lift that bag - how the hell are you going to assist in an evacuation or prepare a raft should my plane had crash landed somewhere in the Pacific ocean!? I was absolutely appalled and it made me wonder when do flight attendants go on maternity leave?

Thanks for your input
Ben

[Edited 2012-07-22 17:46:40]

BMI727

RE: Pregnant Flight Attendants

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 am

Quoting Ben175 (Thread starter):
However, the one more heavily pregnant simply used her pregnancy as an excuse not to do anything, saying to a very short women who couldn't reach the overhead compartment "Sorry I can't lift that bag, I'm six months pregnant."

I'm pretty sure a lot of airlines don't let flight attendants lift bags into overhead bins at all due to injury concerns, but that may be an American thing.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 am

"Sorry I can't lift that bag

In general, it is not their job. At the airline I work for, FA's are prohibited from lifting bags and putting them in the overhead bins. It is a safety issue. It keeps OJI costs down and it is also a union work rule as well in which I do agree with. And no, I am not a FA.

I'm sorry, but if you can't lift that bag - how the hell are you going to assist in an evacuation or prepare a raft should my plane had crash landed somewhere in the Pacific ocean!?

Lifting a bag has absolutely nothing to do with assisting in an evacuation of an aircraft.   
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

xjramper

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 am

So you equate lifting a bag to your safety? In fact, over all the safety briefings I have seen over the years specifically state to leave all of your items behind during an evacuation.

The F/As don't lift much in the event of an evacuation except for a megaphone and pointing people in the appropriate exit. And for the ceiling rafts maybe she cannot lift that, but she can keep directing folks while the rest of the F/As on the flight are more than capable of doing that.

And to be completely honest, if it crash landed in the Pacific, I wouldn't think that any of this would be much help anyways.
Look ma' no hands!

ben175

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:55 am

I probably should have included more examples, she made passengers pour their own coffee (saying she couldn't lean over), refused to help clean up a split drink and a broken glass and pretty much resisted anything a passenger asked her to do, either simply declining the offer or making another FA do it.

PHX787

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):
I'm pretty sure a lot of airlines don't let flight attendants lift bags into overhead bins at all due to injury concerns, but that may be an American thing.

Male flight attendants on DL often assist with lifting bags.

I've seen a few female flight attendants on DL who were preggers but I think the policy is to let them onto maternity leave about 2 months before due, but that's just my estimation. I never seen any flight attendant who was 8-9 months pregnant on the flight.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

tdscanuck

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 am

"Sorry I can't lift that bag, I'm six months pregnant."

That may be company policy for liability or health insurance reasons, rather than her choice. But, as noted, lifting bags isn't their job anyway.

I'm sorry, but if you can't lift that bag - how the hell are you going to assist in an evacuation or prepare a raft should my plane had crash landed somewhere in the Pacific ocean!?

You've clearly never seen a pregnant woman whose baby is threatened...they'd probably paddle the plane from the middle of the Pacific to Tahiti if that's what it took.

Tom.

ben175

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 5):

So do flight attendants on SQ, QF, DJ, NZ, JL, CX and VX to name a select few.

[Edited 2012-07-22 18:00:49]

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:01 am

Maybe DL allows their FA's to help lift bags. I am not sure what their policy is nor what their union contract allows for.

September11

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 am

I've seen flight attendants refitting luggages in overhead bins (to create space for more luggages). I think that's their job?
Airliners.net of the Future

GT4EZY

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:09 am

Here in the UK, as soon as you find out you are pregnant you stop flying. Some airlines will have you doing a couple of days in the office/crew room up until around 6 weeks before giving birth whilst others just leave you at home. I actually thought crew everywhere stopped flying duties once they were pregnant. Obviously not.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 9):
I've seen flight attendants refitting luggages in overhead bins (to create space for more luggages).

Re-shifting and lifting are two totally different things, September11.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 am

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 10):
I actually thought crew everywhere stopped flying duties once they were pregnant. Obviously not.

I thought this as well, never really knew this actually happens.
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

azjubilee

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 am

Wow, if you think an FA that is preggers is a big deal you might not want to know that they let pilots fly preggers too! OMG!

Gemuser

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 12):
I actually thought crew everywhere stopped flying duties once they were pregnant. Obviously not.

I don't know about other countries, but in Australia that would be a clear case of discrimination, unless the FA's income was maintained at the pre pregnancy level until 6 weeks before the expected due date, when maternity leave provisions start. If you have to maintain their income they may as well fly, unless there is a real health problem, which there shouldn't be with the average healthy woman.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

ben175

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:28 am

Quoting azjubilee (Reply 13):
Wow, if you think an FA that is preggers is a big deal you might not want to know that they let pilots fly preggers too! OMG!

Excuse me, I said I have no issue with pregnant flight attendants as long as they are capable with doing their job, which this certain flight attendant was not.

DeltaMD90

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:37 am

I can see the concern regarding safety with pregnant flight attendants, but the reality is, they really don't have to be supermen/women, their biggest role in an emergency is ushering passengers out which can be done during pregnancy. I'd be more concerned with the women giving birth in flight   
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

lightsaber
Crew

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:52 am

Good for the airlines letting these women fly. Besides not lifting a bag, did they not do anything else?

"Not do anything" is a SERIOUS accusation. Were you stiffed the FULL can of Coke? Did a F/A fall short in the safety briefing? Was one of the F/As rude? (Unlikely with a pregnant women)

Quoting Ben175 (Reply 15):
I said I have no issue with pregnant flight attendants as long as they are capable with doing their job, which this certain flight attendant was not.

How? Not lifting a bag is standard policy; Get used to it. What other aspect of their job were they not fully up to standard?

I personally like pregnant flight attendants. They bring cheer to the cabin.

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 6):
That may be company policy for liability or health insurance reasons, rather than her choice. But, as noted, lifting bags isn't their job anyway.

I know you don't, but what is it with some who think a F/A's job is to lift bags all day? I happily lift bags for other passengers.

Quoting gemuser (Reply 14):
If you have to maintain their income they may as well fly, unless there is a real health problem, which there shouldn't be with the average healthy woman.

Exactly. If they require bed rest, that is disability and their doctor had better only 'prescribe' that if it warrants. Note: I know more women who were on bed rest than not; the cost of pregnancy after age 40. But otherwise, let them fly about doing their job. As I pointed out before, a pregnant woman brings joy.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

ben175

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:03 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 17):
Good for the airlines letting these women fly. Besides not lifting a bag, did they not do anything else? What other aspect of their job were they not fully up to standard?

See my reply below:

Quoting Ben175 (Reply 4):
I probably should have included more examples, she made passengers pour their own coffee (saying she couldn't lean over), refused to help clean up a split drink and a broken glass and pretty much resisted anything a passenger asked her to do, either simply declining the offer or making another FA do it.
I personally like pregnant flight attendants. They bring cheer to the cabin.

So many people are taking what I said the wrong way - I have NO issue with pregnant flight attendants IF they are capable of doing the job they are paid to do - help, assist and look after the passengers. But she simply used her pregnancy as an excuse not to do anything, including cleaning up broken glass on the cabin floor. What makes it worse is she was clearly tired and didn't crack a smile the entire flight.

[Edited 2012-07-22 19:05:50]

m11stephen

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:20 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 2):
In general, it is not their job. At the airline I work for, FA's are prohibited from lifting bags and putting them in the overhead bins. It is a safety issue. It keeps OJI costs down and it is also a union work rule as well in which I do agree with. And no, I am not a FA.

If an F/A can't lift a bag weighing maybe 30lbs into the overhead for fear of injury than why should I have any confidence in their ability to; subdue a terrorist, operate slides and rafts weighing close to a hundred pounds, lift over-wing window exits weighing 40-50lbs, etc.? Will they suddenly posses super-human strength and be immune to injury when a crisis occurs? It's ludicrous for F/As to think that they can constantly bang on about their 'vital' safety roles yet refuse to exert the most basic physical force on rather simple tasks and expect people to respect their roles.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:51 am

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 19):

I think you are missing the entire point and I will say it again: At my company, it is AGAINST company policy to lift carry on bags and put them in the overhead bins. The reason for this is because of the increase of OJI's. What causes this OJI is how much a pax puts in their carry on bags. If it is too heavy, that FA could put his or her back out, and could also pose a fall hazard. Once that happens before a flight takes off, your flight will be canceled.

I am sure that other airlines have similar policy as well. It is what it is: company policy.

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 14):
Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 12):

I don't know about other countries, but in Australia that would be a clear case of discrimination, unless the FA's income was maintained at the pre pregnancy level until 6 weeks before the expected due date, when maternity leave provisions start. If you have to maintain their income they may as well fly, unless there is a real health problem, which there shouldn't be with the average healthy woman.

Gemuser

Since flight crews are exposed to higher doses of radiation than most "pedestrians", it makes sense to take them off flight duty for the time of their pregnancy until maternity leave kicks in (in Germany minimum 6 weeks before expected delivery until IIRC 2 months after, but if there are medical conditions, she can stay at home at full pay earlier). Here most get transfered to ground duties (office, check-in) as soon as they know (and inform their boss) about being pregnant.
Back in the 60s my mother, who at this time was working as a nurse in a radiological department of a hospital was transfered to another department with less exposure to radiation when she became pregnant with me.
Obviously the salary stays the same.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

BMI727

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 21):
Since flight crews are exposed to higher doses of radiation than most "pedestrians", it makes sense to take them off flight duty for the time of their pregnancy until maternity leave kicks in (in Germany minimum 6 weeks before expected delivery until IIRC 2 months after, but if there are medical conditions, she can stay at home at full pay earlier). Here most get transfered to ground duties (office, check-in) as soon as they know (and inform their boss) about being pregnant.

Avoiding the body scanners during pregnancy would probably be a good idea too.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

mandala499

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 am

Quoting Ben175 (Reply 4):

I had that problem with non-pregnant FAs !
Spilt drink from a previous flight? Here's a wet cloth (slapped onto the seat armrest) "here sir, you clean it!"
Serving meals & drinks? The guy on the aisle seat gets the job!
The stuff you experienced, isn't a pregnancy issue, is a personal attitude issue.

BUT, no, lifting bags ain't one of their jobs. Here, the policy is at some airlines: "you put it overhead or under the seat in front, or the ground staff will shove it in the hold".

Here in the UK, as soon as you find out you are pregnant you stop flying. Some airlines will have you doing a couple of days in the office/crew room up until around 6 weeks before giving birth whilst others just leave you at home. I actually thought crew everywhere stopped flying duties once they were pregnant. Obviously not.

Same here. Report pregnant and you stop flying. If you're a permanent staff, take a 6 month basic salary (not big) and go home, or take continue your salary + other pays based on an agreed number of equivalent flying hours) and and get bigger pay until you can't work then the pay stops. If you're on contract, it's bye bye... however a lot won't report being pregnant until about 3-4 months because of this (but it's always best to check with the doctor).

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:13 am

Bottom line:

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 23):
The stuff you experienced, isn't a pregnancy issue, is a personal attitude issue.

Quite. And I find it a astounding how many have jumped down the OP's throat for his comments. He has said repeatedly he doesn't care if she is pregnant. His problem was with her obviously terrible attitude, of which he gave several examples.

Flight attendants on many airlines are routinely rude, lazy and just plain annoying. Someone should remind them they work in a service industry. Now I'm not demanding SQ level service every flight (though if they can do it, why can't everyone else?), but a smile and a less snarky attitude would be nice.

I've flown in the US and Europe for hundreds of flights. I detested the average service level. After having moved to East Asia flying (and check-in, and security, and passport control) is no longer one long source of irritation.

Was one of the F/As rude? (Unlikely with a pregnant women)

Pregnant/non-pregnant status has no bearing on whether a person is rude or not.

[Edited 2012-07-23 01:20:01]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

tdscanuck

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 24):
And I find it a astounding how many have jumped down the OP's throat for his comments. He has said repeatedly he doesn't care if she is pregnant.

I think the triggering line was:

I was absolutely appalled and it made me wonder when do flight attendants go on maternity leave?

That pretty clearly, at least to me, seems to link the OP's opinion of her performance to her status as pregnant, but maybe I just misread it.

Tom.

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:19 am

Fair point Tom. He should have added some clarification in the initial post.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

deltal1011man

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:07 pm

I've seen a few female flight attendants on DL who were preggers but I think the policy is to let them onto maternity leave about 2 months before due, but that's just my estimation. I never seen any flight attendant who was 8-9 months pregnant on the flight.

Most stay till they *have* to go because they don't have light duty. I do believe Delta will at least try to find someone a job doing paper work and such if they request.

Male's are a little different than *most* females. (not a female hater...just sayin)

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 8):

I'm fairly sure its pretty much don't be stupid. If you can't lift the bag then don't try. Not sure if they have a written policy per say.

and they let them work on airplanes too.  
subdue a terrorist,

Are you kidding?

lift over-wing window exits weighing 40-50lbs,

Which is why I believe it says on the little card that YOU have to lift them   

Will they suddenly posses super-human strength and be immune to injury when a crisis occurs?

Ok so I guess your serous.
So my three points.
Airlines stop caring about OJI when its OJI or death. They will take the OJI every time.
May want to google this thing called adrenaline. People do amazing things when their or their loved ones life are on the line.
and finally. I would hope that in the post 9/11 world that if someone took over an airplane the F/A(s) wouldn't be the only one to do something about it. 9 times out of 10 flights have at least one big and strong guy on the plane.
The reasons why airlines don't want F/As lifting over weight bags is they simply don't want to have to deal with an OJI. It cost them a ton of money. Not only this, but the F/A shouldn't have to do to much helping because people shouldn't be bring heavy ass bags on the plane in the first place. Delta knows this and is just fine with the F/A calling an agent to tell them you have to gate check your bag because its to darn big.   

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 20):

pretty much. like I said, HR people lose sleep over the thought of an OJI. Most airlines will do anything they have to from stopping it.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

rfields5421

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Several years ago, a six month pregnant US Navy pilot ditched a T-39 - Rockwell Sabreliner twin engine biz jet type - in the South China Sea. After a day and a half, she and her crew were picked up from their life rafts. No problems with the ditching, evacuation or her eventual delivery of a healthy baby.

There are some people who will use any excuse to avoid working at their jobs. The FA noted by the OP is one of those people IMHO. Being pregnant was just her latest excuse.

[Edited 2012-07-23 06:16:32]

ben175

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 25):
That pretty clearly, at least to me, seems to link the OP's opinion of her performance to her status as pregnant, but maybe I just misread it.

I'm sorry if people misread my original post. I should have broken up the two sentences - I was shocked with her individual performance and just generally wondering when they go on maternity leave.

Viscount724

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 6):
"Sorry I can't lift that bag, I'm six months pregnant."

BA has one of the most liberal carry-on weight limits (51 lbs.) but they make it clear in their website that the passenger must be able to lift it into the overhead bin without help. Excerpt from BA website:

You are allowed one piece of hand baggage plus a laptop or handbag.

A 23kg (51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag unaided into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin.

PHX787

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 27):
Male's are a little different than *most* females. (not a female hater...just sayin)

Quite understandable, nothing offensive said there.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

bueb0g

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 20):
I think you are missing the entire point and I will say it again: At my company, it is AGAINST company policy to lift carry on bags and put them in the overhead bins. The reason for this is because of the increase of OJI's.

I think you are missing the point. It's all well and good if they would be able to lift a bag, but are forbidden; however, if they are physically incapable of lifting a bag (as the F/A in the OP's story seems to be), then they are not going to be a whole lot of use in an evacuation. Not that lifting a bag itself is going to be massively useful in an evacuation but if they are not able to carry out such a simple action, I would have serious doubts about them being able to perform other physical actions that may be required of them during an emergency.

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Reply 27):
lift over-wing window exits weighing 40-50lbs,

Which is why I believe it says on the little card that YOU have to lift them   

But it's still the FA's job to supervise, oversee and in essence take control of the evacuation; not only will they have to open all of the other doors, they will also have to open the overwing exits if a passenger on the exit row does not.
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

saleya22r

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:35 pm

One should understand the bigger picture. Most pregnant women are able to lift the bags in the overhead bins safely without effort. That’s not the point. But even a healthy pregnant individual can develop unexpected complications. Early miscarriages occur in 15%. Later in pregnancy, health problems occur at a certain rate. Some of them can be predicted, many not. In commercial aviation the situation is different compared with demanding jobs elsewhere. Female doctors and nurses often continue their work till the maternity leave but may be relieved from night shifts later in pregnancy. My understanding is that in Scandinavia pregnant cabin crew members are early transferred to other duties or given a sick leave (in spite of the fact that being pregnant is not an illness!!) I am a bit surprised if that’s not the case in some other countries.
Saleya22R

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:58 pm

Quoting bueb0g (Reply 32):
I think you are missing the point. It's all well and good if they would be able to lift a bag, but are forbidden; however, if they are physically incapable of lifting a bag (as the F/A in the OP's story seems to be), then they are not going to be a whole lot of use in an evacuation. Not that lifting a bag itself is going to be massively useful in an evacuation but if they are not able to carry out such a simple action, I would have serious doubts about them being able to perform other physical actions that may be required of them during an emergency.

Are you that naive?! You cannot argue against company policy and union work rules. If they state that FA's are not allowed to, by company policy AND work rules, then it should not be questioned...pregnant or not. Those rules are in place for a reason, and a very good one at that. I am no FA, but I do agree with the rule. If you are all jiggy in getting your flight canceled because your humble FA put his or her back out because of your heavy-ass bag then more power to you. There are no guarantees that my airline has reserve FA's in the station you are flying out of.

DocLightning

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 16):
I can see the concern regarding safety with pregnant flight attendants, but the reality is, they really don't have to be supermen/women, their biggest role in an emergency is ushering passengers out which can be done during pregnancy. I'd be more concerned with the women giving birth in flight

I think that it's important to realize that pregnancy is a physiologic state. It is NOT a PATHOphysiologic state. To re-state it in plain English, it is not a disease.

Certainly there are a number of things that can go wrong in pregnancy, but as long as her OB/GYN has no reservations, I don't see why continuing to work should be a problem. Six weeks before the due date (about 34 weeks gestation) would be a reasonable time to tell her to stop working, since deliveries are awkward and messy when done on the floor of the galley at FL 370 somewhere over the Pacific.  

That said, the F/A needs to understand the risks that if something should go wrong while the aircraft is in the air, she might not have access to the most prompt and competent medical care, having to divert to the closest suitable destination in who-knows-which country.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

saleya22r

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:01 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 21):
Back in the 60s my mother, who at this time was working as a nurse in a radiological department of a hospital was transfered to another department with less exposure to radiation when she became pregnant with me.
Obviously the salary stays the same.

Jan

Correct.
Keep in mind that with regard to the radiation, early pregnancy is the most sensitive period. That's when the organs develop. An old rule of thumb said that one transatlantic flight gave a dose equal to one chest x-ray exam.
A site called aircrew health says:

"Female crewmembers are advised to suspend flying while pregnant, if feasible, or at least to greatly reduce the number of hours they fly while pregnant, and to request routes that minimize the amount of radiation exposure"

And refers to this FAA paper:

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/res...mtechreports/2000s/media/00_33.pdf

Saleya22R

bueb0g

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 34):
Are you that naive?! You cannot argue against company policy and union work rules. If they state that FA's are not allowed to, by company policy AND work rules, then it should not be questioned...pregnant or not. Those rules are in place for a reason, and a very good one at that. I am no FA, but I do agree with the rule. If you are all jiggy in getting your flight canceled because your humble FA put his or her back out because of your heavy-ass bag then more power to you. There are no guarantees that my airline has reserve FA's in the station you are flying out of.

Jesus, maybe try reading what I write before getting hot and bothered? I wasn't arguing against the union rules. You'll notice that I said that if they are able to lift a bag but are forbidden by union rules, that's totally acceptable. At least they are still physically capable and will not be totally useless in an emergency - they just can't lift bags due to a technicality.

However, at most of the world's airlines, FA's are not forbidden to lift bags, JQ included, which is where the OP's story took place. My point here is that if an FA is physically unable to lift a bag - as in, they would not be able to, even if union rules or whatever didn't exist to forbid them of doing so - then they are not going to be a whole lot of use in an emergency and should therefore not be flying.

Read, think, post.
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Quoting bueb0g (Reply 37):
My point here is that if an FA is physically unable to lift a bag - as in, they would not be able to, even if union rules or whatever didn't exist to forbid them of doing so - then they are not going to be a whole lot of use in an emergency and should therefore not be flying.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with the argument. My wife could lift a very heavy bag while pregnant. She's a very strong woman. On the other hand many petite women F/As (come to Asia....) might not be able to lift a heavy carry-on over their heads, pregnant or not. And yet we trust these F/As to handle emergencies just fine. Heck, they all have to pass recurrent training.

As stated earlier, they'll have to lift a megaphone in an emergency. They'll have to yell. They are not required to do a fireman's carry on a fat businessman. What do they need to do in an emergency that requires them to be so darned strong?

Again, what you saw was an attitude problem, not a strength problem.

AirframeAS

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 38):

Thank you, Starlion.... that is exactly what I meant. Some people think that FA's are more like slaves than safety figures. I don't understand where this mentality comes from....and it is wrong.

JQflightie

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:53 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 9):
I've seen flight attendants refitting luggages in overhead bins (to create space for more luggages). I think that's their job?

its as simple as this, if its to heavy for you to put in the over head locked un-assisted, then it shouldnt be on-board the aircraft, im a flight attendant, and no where in my manuals does it say i lift luggage into overhead lockers, passengers over-packing is not going to end my career if i do my neck/back/shoulder in. I am more than willing to assist passengers to place there bags in the overhead locker, but i will NEVER do it unassisted. I am there for your safety and comfort, not there to be a slave.
Next Trip: PER-DPS-KUL-BKK-HKT-CNX-BKK-SIN-PER

deltal1011man

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 pm

But it's still the FA's job to supervise, oversee and in essence take control of the evacuation; not only will they have to open all of the other doors, they will also have to open the overwing exits if a passenger on the exit row does not.

Again.
life or death my guess is most can lift 50lbs to save there life and its not so much an issue of can they, its more of covering the companies a** so they don't get OJI because some PAX has a carry on that they probably shouldn't have in the first place.

Its not worth being hurt for the rest of your life because someone else wants to bring a 50lb bag on the aircraft. It may however be worth it to have a back issue to save lives. (and with the adrenaline that will be pumping i don't think it will be an issue at all)

and its the job of the person to open that window. Not the F/A. They shouldn't *have to take control* because the person sitting in that seat agreed to open the window as soon as there butt hit the seat.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

AirframeAS

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:40 pm

they will also have to open the overwing exits if a passenger on the exit row does not.

Not an FA task. The FAR's state that there must be at least 1 person on each side of the aircraft, per exit row, sitting there in case an emergency does happen. That person is responsible for opening up that door when required.

So if there are 4 overwing exits on that aircraft, then the minimum required is 4 people.

david21487

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:19 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 42):
The FAR's state that there must be at least 1 person on each side of the aircraft, per exit row, sitting there in case an emergency does happen. That person is responsible for opening up that door when required.

So if there are 4 overwing exits on that aircraft, then the minimum required is 4 people.

Which FAR's are you reading that state overwing exit row seats must be occupied?
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

Quokkas

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 am

A lot of argument has occurred over bags being too heavy, yet Ben's initial reference to a bag was that the owner was too short to reach, not that the bag was heavy.

Now I know people will say then put it under the seat in front of you. Look around on some flights and you will find that is not possible, particularly in J or F where the seat has no space to store anything due to seat design. Even in Y on some aircraft the space is taken up with a huge ICE box. Bags must be stowed in the overhead locker in those instances. If a passenger is too short to reach, what then? Don't fly? Unload the passenger? Good way to lose business.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Starlionblue

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 44):
If a passenger is too short to reach, what then? Don't fly? Unload the passenger? Good way to lose business.

Fair point. But there is typically a step on the side of the seat row for the purpose of helping short people reach.

I also think that, as has been mentioned before, the stated incident had nothing to do with physiology and everything to do with mentality.

AirframeAS

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Quoting david21487 (Reply 43):

FAR 121.585

bond007

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 46):
FAR 121.585

I don't see where that says that somebody MUST be sitting in the exit row. Just if there is, they have to be capable.

After all, what happens if you have only 3 pax? ...or 100 pax who do not "wish to perform those functions".

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

david21487

Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 46):
FAR 121.585

There's nothing in any FAR that says exit rows, overwing or otherwise, must be occupied.

There may be airline-specific policies regarding it, but it's not required by the FAA.
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

FlySSC

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:36 pm

when do flight attendants go on maternity leave?

At Air France, as soon as the pregnancy is declared (even 3 or 4 weeks), F/A are not allowed to fly anymore. They can get a job on the ground if they wish and keep their F/A average salary until the 7th month of pregnancy, then they can stop (and they re paid by the Social Security system) or continue to work with the ad hoc salary of their job.