smi0006
Topic Author

Long-Haul And Additional Tech Crew Qs.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:29 am

I was curious as the arrangement that different airlines have with regard to additional tech crew for longer sectors.

I believe at QR and EK they have two sets of tech crew, two Captains, two First officers.

QF I believe has a Captain, one or two First officers and one or two Second officers for a total of four.

VA has a Captain, a First officer and two ‘Cruise First Officers’.

What do other airlines generally do? Why is the difference between a FO and Cruise FO and a Second officer, what other titles do they have?

Cheers for ay thoughts.

PHX787

RE: Long-Haul And Additional Tech Crew Qs.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:05 pm

DL had 3 or 4 pilots (2 in jumpseats during t/o and landing) for my 10 hr flight LAX-NRT 2 weeks back. I think that's pretty much the practicality. The FAA has some stringent rules on how long a pilot can remain in the cockpit while awake.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 am

Quoting smi0006 (Thread starter):
Why is the difference between a FO and Cruise FO and a Second officer, what other titles do they have?

AFAIK at CX second officers are "cruise pilots". They only control the aircraft in cruise. Typically the distinction is just that. "Cruise pilots" (whatever their title at an airline) control the aircraft only over a certain flight level, say FL200. That way the Captain and FO can get some rest (not at the same time unless you have four pilots). At CX (and I am guessing elsewhere too), an SO is still kept current on take-offs and landings with sim sessions.

CX has:
- Captain.
- Senior First Officer
- Junior First Officer.
- Second Officer.

As far as I know, there is only one captain on board. So for HKG-JFK I guess you'd have Captain (1x), FO (2x) and SO (1x). On somewhat shorter flights you'd have Captain (1x), FO (1x) and SO (1x).

I'm not sure if SFO vs JFO is a just length of service rank difference or also an operational rank difference.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

longhauler

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:49 am

Air Canada carries 2 pilots for shorter international flights, then 3 or 4 depending on the operation. 1 CA and 1 FO with 2 pilots, 1 CA, 1 FO and 1 CP with 3 pilots, and 1 CA, 2 FOs and 1 CP with 4 pilots.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

CCA

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:25 am

Quoting smi0006 (Thread starter):
Why is the difference between a FO and Cruise FO and a Second officer

It's cheaper, lower ranks less pay that's about what it boils down to. But the airlines operation needs to support the rank structure, for example QF have 1 Capt. 1 F/O & 2 S/Os because a greater percentage (majority) of their B747/A380 flights are long haul. CX on the other hand has B747s doing short haul not requiring any S/Os, the QF model wouldn't work in CX as you wouldn't have enough Capts & F/Os for the additional short haul flying.

JF/Os in CX are a sort term (1yr) under training/experience gaining rank.
P1 in A330, A340, A346, B742, B744, B748.