tattvc

German Langugage Books, Subject: Airbus/A320/30/40

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Hallo and Gauten Tag, to all of our a-nutters here in Germany and beyond!

I've got a reqeust, with which I would greatly appreciate any input. I'm currently on my way to finishing a degree in German at an american university. To speed up my graduation and eventually move on to (I hope) a job as a pilot with Swiss International Airlines, I'm trying to set up an independent study course through my College and german department. To give me the best chance of getting the independent study course approved, I'm trying to set up the curriculum in advance before presenting the proposal to the department, and in that respect I was looking for any reading recommendations you might be able to give!

The course falls in two subjects (and hence double credit!), half being typical german literature, which has all been decided upon (however feel free to throw in suggestions in that respect as well if you feel so inclined!).

The other half, in order to help me with my eventual job interviews, and hopefully my eventual job, would be reading literature concerning the aircraft and industry in which I hope to work, in the language I need to know to work there. While I am well aware of the proliferation of english in the aviation world, and where I might never need to know the term "Aufsetztzonemarkierung" in german, (Touch down zone markings for those of you who don't speak german), in order to stand out from the other applicants and give myself an advantage, I'd like to augment the knowledge I already have in english on these subjects. Therefore, I was looking for any reading recommendations on the following subjects:

-Airbus, in general history or otherwise
-The A320 (along with A319 and A321)
-The A330 (-200 or -300)
-The A340 (-300 or general information)
-Aviation in Europe
-Aviation in Switzerland
-Swissair/Crossair and the transition to Swiss Int'l
-Any other information you would suggest as relevant

The difficulty I've found in previously searching for this type of reading material is that while I do speak a fair amount of German, it's not technical enough to find the subjects I'm looking for, and where there is material, I'm not familiar enough with the specific authors and books to know which would be the most helpful. And, regarding language, any level of german would work, since I hope to eventually achieve fluency, therefore, no need to exclude suggestions just because I'm not fluent yet!

Of course, thank you in advance for your consideration and suggestions! I figured that this might be a good place to ask, considering the wide knowledge base of aviation-related people that read this site. And of course, Mods, if you feel a better place for this topic, please feel free to move it.

Thank you and Danke!

-TatTVC, currently in SCN!
"Your time is limited- don't waste it living someone else's life" -Steve Jobs

zeke

RE: German Langugage Books, Subject: Airbus/A320/30/40

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Quoting TatTVC (Thread starter):

Might be a better question for http://forum.airliners.de/

Most of the EADS and Airbus sites have German language option as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_4?...rbus+German&ie=UTF8&qid=1344029656
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

IFixPlanes

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Several Investigation reports on the BFU (German Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accident Investigation) are available in English and in German. Most on aircraft types > 5700 kg
Enter the site http://www.bfu-web.de/
Use one tab of your browser to navigate to the "Publications --> Final Reports" in the English version of the BFU site (selectable at the top)
Use another tab to navigate to the "Publikationen -->Untersuchungsberichte" in the German version of the BFU site.
The German and the English version have the same reference number, but you get a "Bericht xxxxx-xx" at one tab and a "Report xxxxx-xx"on the other one.
Now you can compare both versions...
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

LH707330

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:05 am

Also, there are a good number of German Wikipedia articles that will help familiarize you with terms like "Stroemungsabriss" and "Nebenstromtriebwerk."

Alles Gute,
M

TheSonntag

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Regardless, when it comes to aviation, I would always prefer the English language litterature. I am German, and I think the best books are English (unlike other subjects where German books sometimes are way better, like for example fish, I think many German books on aviation are either bad translations or based on US sources, like Jane's.