wardialer
Topic Author

Rocket Target Ranges In Miles Or NM?

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:35 am

Whenever theres a launch from Vandenberg AFB either a Minuteman 3 or a Delta rocket, are the distances or ranges ALWAYS measured in Nautical Miles or Miles when the rocket is guided to the kwajalein atoll?

Also, what about commercial aircraft? Are flight plans always use NM instead of Miles?

Thanks

tdscanuck

RE: Rocket Target Ranges In Miles Or NM?

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Quoting wardialer (Thread starter):
Whenever theres a launch from Vandenberg AFB either a Minuteman 3 or a Delta rocket, are the distances or ranges ALWAYS measured in Nautical Miles or Miles when the rocket is guided to the kwajalein atoll?

"Always" is a dangerous word but, given that most of the people they're talking to the whole time (aircraft, ships) are using nautical miles it would seem like a good idea to stay in consistent units.

Quoting wardialer (Thread starter):
Also, what about commercial aircraft? Are flight plans always use NM instead of Miles?

I'm not sure about always, but I've never seen one in miles. Every one I've ever touched was in nm.

Tom.

wardialer
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:09 pm

So do rockets like the Delta and the Minuteman use NM?
I mean not the rockets itself but the launch control tracking systems.

tdscanuck

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:13 pm

Quoting wardialer (Reply 2):
So do rockets like the Delta and the Minuteman use NM?
I mean not the rockets itself but the launch control tracking systems.

Control tracking radar natively measures azimuth (radians), elevation (radians), and time (seconds). It also needs latitude & longitude of the radar site (degrees) and siderial time (radians). Everything else is a conversion. I suspect they convert to nm for operator use but that would be just a convenience thing.

Tom.