KENWINK

Uncontrolled Airport Patterns

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:45 am

kenwink
kenwink@aol.com

i would like comments re: announced intentions for a straight in approach & landing at uncontrolled airports------namely airports with & without a ctaf frequency. let's limit this discussion to an airport with one runway.
i believe there may be prudence to other recommended procedures, but do not believe such action should be admonished, belittled, or scolded over the ctaf by another aircraft in the pattern. perhaps an advisory response or recommendation by another aircraft in the pattern would be sufficient and certainly beneficial to anyone in the area.
i also don't believe such action to be a violation of any mandated or recommended procedures.

26point2

RE: Uncontrolled Airport Patterns

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 am

There is no specific FAR regarding non-controlled airport traffic patterns but the guy on final has right of way. Doesn't say how far out on final though. 3 miles? 10 miles?

But.....Straight in approaches are frowned upon by non- controlled airport users because it upsets the pattern flow and appears to be an " out of my way I'm comin in" attitude if the pattern is busy. Not saying this is your situation but I worked as a CFI many years ago at a similar field and often heard grumbling about the straight in guys over the CTAF. Certainly not a violation of regs though.