NZ107
Topic Author

Heaviest Configured 77W In The World

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 am

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there's any way of finding out who operates the heaviest OEW 77W fleet in the world. I've heard that Air NZ's 77W is pretty heavy but I'd think that other ones would be heavier than the NZ one.

Cheers
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

roseflyer

RE: Heaviest Configured 77W In The World

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Are you asking for what airline has the heaviest empty weight of their airplanes? That depends on airline options and very specific configuration data. Most of the customer options are relatively hidden to the naked eye, but they can involve weight. For example, ANZ 77Ws have the longest ETOPS available at ETOPS 330, which adds weight since they have more fire suppression etc.

Interior furnishings are likely going to matter. Business class seats are typically 150-300lbs per seat (150 for manual control recliners to about 300 for fully motorized lie flats). Economy seats are about 45lbs each. Sometimes premium heavy airplanes weigh more than others, but high density economy is always the heaviest when you include passengers.

I’d expect AF’s 462 seat 77Ws to likely be the heaviest, but that’s a guess.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

NZ107
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 1):
Are you asking for what airline has the heaviest empty weight of their airplanes?

Yes, indeed.. Which comes down to the configuration and everything else.

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 1):
ANZ 77Ws have the longest ETOPS available at ETOPS 330, which adds weight since they have more fire suppression etc.

Thanks for that, very interesting piece of information!
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

Stitch

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 pm

From what I have heard/read, CX's four class birds (KPB-KPM) are said to have an OEW of around 180 tons, which puts them on the high side of weights I have seen. Their three-class birds ((KPA-KPU) are said to be ~170 tons. EK's 777-300ERs are said to have an OEW of around 170 tons and TK's are said to be around 168t.

These weights would not include the crew and things like catering and other pantry items (magazines, newspapers, etc.). All of that can add 6 tons or more of weight before you start loading passengers, baggage and cargo.

sunrisevalley

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:48 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 3):
From what I have heard/read, CX's four class birds (KPB-KPM) are said to have an OEW of around 180 tons, which puts them on the high side of weights I have seen. Their three-class birds ((KPA-KPU) are said to be ~170 tons. EK's 777-300ERs are said to have an OEW of around 170 tons and TK's are said to be around 168t.

These weights would not include the crew and things like catering and other pantry items (magazines, newspapers, etc.). All of that can add 6 tons or more of weight before you start loading passengers, baggage and cargo.

To add a little to what Stitch has said, I believe the CX 3-class have a DOW ( that is OEW plus the items Stitch lists in the previous paragraph ) of about172t. TK have an OEW of 167.5 plus 4.1t for a DOW of 171.6t.

sunrisevalley

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 2):
Thanks for that, very interesting piece of information!

But for whatever reason the NZ 77W's do not have the ( oxygen?) equipment necessary to fly the Yankee 2 airway out of HKG across China. Go figure!