andrej
Topic Author

Fly The Plate...

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:26 pm

...and you may get into life threating situation.

I came across this interesting article, stating that even officially approved landing procedures may be flawed. Things happen, but it makes me wonder how many procedures are flawed (potential safety hazard).

Fair Use:

"The weather at Saratoga Springs, N.Y. on the night of July 13, 2008 was 1,100 overcast, one-and-a-half miles visibility with moderate rain, and wind calm. Albany approach control vectored us for a GPS approach to Runway 5. We intercepted the inbound course toward the airport. On our descent, all altitudes and altimeters coincided with the information on the approach plate. Before reaching minimums, my co-captain called, “Runway in sight, twelve o’clock.” I responded, “Going visual.” Looking up, I saw the runway was dead on at 12 o’clock. Before going visual, all indications on the flight director were centered and exactly where I wanted them. My co-captain called, “Ref plus thirteen,” then immediately called, “Trees! Pull up, pull up.” I simultaneously went to max power and rotated to a 15-degree deck angle. The aircraft hit a pine tree and, we learned later, cut eight feet off its top. I still had the runway in sight, and after making a quick scan of the panel I replied, “We have good gear indication, and pressure is up; I plan on landing.” My co-captain replied, “I concur.”

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...01/fly-plate-and-you-wont-get-hurt

Cheers,

Andrej

tdscanuck

RE: Fly The Plate...

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Quoting andrej (Thread starter):
I came across this interesting article, stating that even officially approved landing procedures may be flawed.
Saratoga Springs GPS Approach Flown Into Trees (by Longhornmaniac Aug 10 2012 in Tech Ops)

Tom.

KELPkid

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:35 am

Wonder why a NOTAM wasn't issued if the airport knew about it?
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

FredT

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Some states flight check all procedures prior to publishing. Others only flight check procedures in the simulator - which would not catch a survey error, as the simulator obstacle database is based on the survey results. Other states publish unchecked procedures.

I expect this to be regulated after we have an airliner in the trees somewhere...
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.