redzeppelin
Topic Author

Q About Repositioning Flights, SLC-CVG Example

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi All.
I'm planning a work trip for the first week of October, and I noticed an unusual flight available from DL. It is flight DL3286, SLC-CVG on 30Sept. It leaves SLC at 20:00, arriving to CVG at 01:27, operated by Pinnacle with a CR9. This appears to be a one-time-only operation. From what I can tell, DL has a very regular 2x daily service on the route for several weeks in each direction with a mix of 319/320/738 equipment. I'm assuming that this is perhaps an aircraft repositioning flight on which they have decided to sell seats. I've heard of such things, but I can't remember seeing one before (at least none that I recognized). How common is it?

Edit: I just looked again, and I see an extra flight in the opposite direction (CVG-SLC) operating early the next morning with a 738. So it looks like the 2 planes are swapping bases.

[Edited 2012-08-23 16:11:17]

[Edited 2012-08-23 16:12:44]

FlyASAGuy2005

RE: Q About Repositioning Flights, SLC-CVG Example

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting redzeppelin (Thread starter):
Hi All.
I'm planning a work trip for the first week of October, and I noticed an unusual flight available from DL. It is flight DL3286, SLC-CVG on 30Sept. It leaves SLC at 20:00, arriving to CVG at 01:27, operated by Pinnacle with a CR9. This appears to be a one-time-only operation. From what I can tell, DL has a very regular 2x daily service on the route for several weeks in each direction with a mix of 319/320/738 equipment. I'm assuming that this is perhaps an aircraft repositioning flight on which they have decided to sell seats. I've heard of such things, but I can't remember seeing one before (at least none that I recognized). How common is it?

Edit: I just looked again, and I see an extra flight in the opposite direction (CVG-SLC) operating early the next morning with a 738. So it looks like the 2 planes are swapping bases.

Don't forget that Comair will sunset on 29 September. There will be a lot of repo flights across the system around that time so that the other carriers can get their a/c to CVG to pick up the schedule.

[Edited 2012-08-23 21:14:39]
What gets measured gets done.

FlyASAGuy2005

RE: Q About Repositioning Flights, SLC-CVG Example

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:25 am

I've done a couple hours of research and it seems like DL 3200 JAX-MSP will be OH's last revenue flight (29 Sept). Their schedule is extremely thin on the 28th and I can't find an OH code on any other revenue flight that's in the most recent load (25 August).

If anyone has any additional flights that they find that I may have missed that's operating on the 29th, please feel free.
What gets measured gets done.