blueflyer
Topic Author

BA245 8/30 Low Fuel

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:06 pm

I was reading this recent post on avHerald: http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4555e531

I'll admit I am not well versed in fuel regulations, but if BA had to declare mayday after holding for 20 minutes, wouldn't they already be using reserve fuel (or just about to) when reaching EZE? If so, shouldn't they have declared minimum fuel and/or diverted immediately instead of entering a hold?

Obviously, I don't know what their alternate was, but even if we assume it was much closer to EZE than COR is, even after holding 20 minutes, shouldn't they have had enough fuel to head to COR too?

Just trying to understand...
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

Jetlagged

RE: BA245 8/30 Low Fuel

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:31 pm

My understanding of this is that they held until they got down to their reserve fuel limit. Once below that they no longer have the fuel to divert safely, so they had to land at EZE. Hence the call. When they started holding they would have been above reserve fuel.

However I thought the rule was to divert once fuel gets down to reserve level. Perhaps their alternate was in an even worse weather state. Another flight did elect to divert after holding for 35 minutes but then cancelled that presumably as the weather in EZE improved.

[Edited 2012-09-04 13:39:23]
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

blueflyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Quoting Jetlagged (Reply 1):
However I thought the rule was to divert once fuel gets down to reserve level. Perhaps their alternate was in an even worse weather state. Another flight did elect to divert after holding for 35 minutes but then cancelled that presumably as the weather in EZE improved.

My understanding re reserve fuel is the same. As far as the other flight, avHerald does mention AA997 holding for 35 minutes then deciding to divert (right around the time BA was landing) and cancelling 15 minutes later, not because of improved weather, but because of emergency (no details provided). 15 minutes after AA declared, EZE resumed normal traffic thanks to improved weather conditions.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

Fabo

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:30 pm

I suppose it could be possible that they simply missed the point when they would have enough fuel to leave hold, fly one approach, go around and divert?
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT