Shiny
Topic Author

GSM Communicational Equipment For A/Cs

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 pm

I was wondering if there is a manufacturer which offers qualified GSM (2G/3G) communicational equipment for lower and slower flying aircrafts and mainly helicopters?

Basically a GSM transceiver is what I am interested in ((external) antenna and communicational unit on board) for voice/data directly over a cellular network?

tdscanuck

RE: GSM Communicational Equipment For A/Cs

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:35 am

Quoting Shiny (Thread starter):
Basically a GSM transceiver is what I am interested in ((external) antenna and communicational unit on board) for voice/data directly over a cellular network?

That's basically how GoGo works, except they're CDMA rather than GSM:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gogo_Inflight_Internet

Tom.

Shiny
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:08 am

Myes, this is close to what I was looking for, except that it needs to be for GSM/UMTS (2G/3G) solution!?

Ideas?

KELPkid

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:20 pm

I hope it wouldn't be using it for a com link, as GSM makes very annoying sounds for the user when you are on the fringe of reception and your signal is cutting in and out...I'd rather deal with static from AM modulation (like we currently do!).
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Shiny
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Well - the idea is to be used primarily as a data-link but also as a back-up com-link if needed... Or at least either...

A bit surprised I can't find any OTS solutions...!?

mandala499

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Get a signal amplifier inside connected to the GSM device inside, and an antenna outside... there are several antennas that work in L-band that can be used as GSM antenna too... and some transponder antenna. This is used in some aircraft to transmit data through a 3G cellular network once on the ground. Voice would be disabled I would think.

The question now is, what kind of data do you want to receive/transmit? Volume? filesizes? Why not satcom like Iridium SBD or SwiftBroadband? Equipment cost issues? Airtime cost issues?

The thing with 3G systems for use while on air over cellular networks... would anyone want to STC the stuff if you custom make them?   
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Shiny
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

That's the point... not willing to custom make them because of certification issues. Looking for partial or complete OTS solution - which could mean - qualified antenna and qualified transceiver (voice/data) or qualified system.

SAT-COM is too slow for transmission of larger data... at least until Iridium NEXT hits.

The idea is to use 3G (where available) for data transmission (both up and down). I am aware of the challenges of GSM/UMTS handover, but it still works fairly good under the same conditions now when you "accidentally" leave your mobile phone on  
Can't believe there isn't a solution already on the market. Must be.

Chese

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 am

What exactly do you need to transmit that a satcom based phone/data wouldn't handle? Seems to be silly if you simply can't use your own phone.
Note to airliners.net admins, I will not like you on Facebook.

Shiny
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:56 am

HD Pictures, Videos (saved and streaming), etc.

Required for commercial use, so no "here I fixed it" solutions are of interest  Wink

[Edited 2012-09-14 00:06:16]

mandala499

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:11 am

Get a swiftbroadband high gain antenna like Cobham's HGA6500...
Streaming video from surveillance has been done using SB before...
Or get the SB system on this: http://www.scottygroup.com/scotty_diamond_da42mpp
Yes it's only up to 432kbps... but GSM in airplanes won't be much above 2G/EDGE speeds with external antennas while flying around...
And a Ku/Ka band satcom solution would be too big for the aircraft in question?

Shiny
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:48 am

I am aware of the alternative solutions, which have disadvantages on their end.... but I would still like to know if there is an OTS product for data/voice communication over GSM/UMTS....!?

Find it very hard to believe there isn't :-/

mandala499

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 am

Not as far as I know.
There are some guys in the US doing this kind of installation for experimental aircraft...
As of for commercial use, no. The nearest you can go to it is the FOQA 3G data transmitter that sends FOQA and some QAR data over 3G... as soon as the aircraft is on the ground.
People who needs 3G connection without airborne certified datalink just slap a patch antenna on a window and connect it to their 3G modem...   

Mandala499