smartt1982
Topic Author

Monitoring + Tracking Pacific And Atlantic Traffic

Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:29 pm

In regards to traffic flying over the Pacific and Atlantic I am aware that we do not have radr coverage so hence it is a procedural service.

With the advances of ADS-B will this be soon a thing of the past? At the moment even though its procedural I presume that the controllers can see the flights on their screen, from ADS-B perhaps? Is this how they can coordinate and allow traffic to climb during crossing?

It is just with my Air Nav live flight tracker I can see plenty of traffic crossing the Atlantic and Pacific and it says this information is coming from the FAA ADSI, where do they get their information from? Is it simply an estimate of where the aircraft should be from looking at the departure time or position report info, ADSB or a combination of some or all?

Be interesting to know.

Thanks in advance

tdscanuck

RE: Monitoring + Tracking Pacific And Atlantic Traffic

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:33 am

Quoting smartt1982 (Thread starter):
With the advances of ADS-B will this be soon a thing of the past?

Not soon...ADS-B is going to take freaking ages to take over.

CPDLC automatic reporting is around now and more common than ADS-B will be for a while. That gives regular position updates if ATC requests it.

Quoting smartt1982 (Thread starter):
At the moment even though its procedural I presume that the controllers can see the flights on their screen, from ADS-B perhaps? Is this how they can coordinate and allow traffic to climb during crossing?

They see where the airplane should be, updated whenever they get position reports. They can coordinate and allow climbs because they know where everyone is supposed to be. If you're so far off position that you'd be a threat to another aircraft you're *way* out of oceanic procedures.

Tom.