KENWINK
Topic Author

Circling Approach---uncontrolled Airport

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 am

THOUGHT I HAD POSTED THIS ALREADY, BUT CAN'T FIND IT.
IFR: NO TOWER ------- CONDITIONS REQUIRE PILOT TO CIRCLE!!!

IS THE PILOT'S CHOICE OF A CIRCLING MANEUVER AT UNCONTROLLED AIRPORTS RESTRICTED TO LEFT HAND TURNS ONLY--------I DON'T THINK SO!!! COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

tdscanuck

RE: Circling Approach---uncontrolled Airport

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Quoting KENWINK (Thread starter):
IS THE PILOT'S CHOICE OF A CIRCLING MANEUVER AT UNCONTROLLED AIRPORTS RESTRICTED TO LEFT HAND TURNS ONLY--------I DON'T THINK SO!!! COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

I don't think it's restricted in the sense of "you're violating the FARs if you do right turns." However, unless the airport has a right pattern or existing circling approach, it's probably bad practice.

Tom.

26point2

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:26 pm

You don't have to shout.

Plenty of approaches require right traffic during the circling maneuver to avoid terrain or for noise.

IAHFLYR

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 2):
Plenty of approaches require right traffic during the circling maneuver to avoid terrain or for noise.

Or another airport creates the restriction in some cases such as at EFD.

http://aerochart.faa.gov/d-tpp/1209/00197R17R.PDF

The restriction is due to HOU sitting just west of EFD.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Mir

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Unless there's some reason not to, I always circle in the shortest direction, whether that be right or left (with preference to circling with left traffic in the event of landing on the runway 180 degrees from my approach). That's assuming, of course, that the weather is low enough to make a normal traffic pattern entry impossible - if I can fly a normal pattern, I will. But then I'll probably be getting a visual approach anyway unless there's terrain about that makes the MVA too high.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KENWINK
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:43 pm

KENWINK REPLYING TO RESPONSES!!!
PERSONALLY, I AGREE WITH MIR-------IF THE VISIBILITY IS BAD (EXCLUDING TERRAIN CONSIDERATIONS)-----I AM MOST LIKELY GOING TO MAKE THE SHORTEST TURN WHICH AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN MY OPINION, LESSENS THE POSSIBILITY OF DISORIENTATION OR LOSS OF SIGHT OF THE AIRPORT------THE ORIGINAL QUESTION HOWEVER, WAS AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN REGARD TO THE FARS PART 61 REQUIRING ALL TURNS BE MADE TO THE LEFT UNLESS OTHERWISE DEPICTED. AGAIN, I CERTAINLY DON'T THINK THIS APPLIES TO CIRCLING MANEUVERS AT MDA AT UNCONTROLLEED AIRPORTS. DOES ANYONE HAVE THE "BOTTOM LINE"??????