novice

737-300 FMS

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 pm

"FMS combines data from various aircraft systems, which are fed into a central computer, to manage route naviagtion and aircraft performance.
The main section of the FMS is the flight management computer systems (FMC) which is a dual system using two flight management computers and two CDU's. CDU's are a single point to control for the crew to access FMC. Via CDU crew can initiate and control flight plan navigation and performance management and monitor its execution"

Would i be right in saying that the FMS is just basically the inner working of the FMC and that the CDU's are the screens on the FMC? as this would then make the CDU's and the FMC'S the singe point to control for the crew

tdscanuck

RE: 737-300 FMS

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 am

Quoting Novice (Thread starter):
Would i be right in saying that the FMS is just basically the inner working of the FMC and that the CDU's are the screens on the FMC?

Basically, yes. Other systems feed data into the FMC and they're part of the FMS too but, basically, the FMC is the computer and the CDU's are the user-interface devices.

as this would then make the CDU's and the FMC'S the singe point to control for the crew

The FMCs aren't a control point, they're boxes down in the avionics bay. What the crew interacts with are the CDUs.

Tom.

Jetlagged

RE: 737-300 FMS

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Would i be right in saying that the FMS is just basically the inner working of the FMC and that the CDU's are the screens on the FMC?
Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 1):
Basically, yes.

Except that the FMC is part of the FMS, rather than the other way around.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.