B777UA
Topic Author

Evacuation Slides

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:46 am

Can Evacuation Slides, once Deployed, be detached to use as Floatation if on water landing? or does the plane carry its own Life rafts?

yeelep

RE: Evacuation Slides

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:04 am

If they are a slide/raft then yes they can. I've read in a earlier post that the 737 is the only in production A/B aircraft that doesn't have slide rafts avialible as at least an option. The 737 uses rafts installed in the aisle overhead. That said , the slide on a 737 could possibly be used as a flotation device by cutting it away from the girt bar. I haven't a clue how stable or how long it would stay inflated relative to a proper slide raft.

[Edited 2012-10-20 19:17:11]

HAWK21M

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:35 am

Depends on the type of slide attached,some can be detached post inflation and doubled up as a raft.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Markhkg

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting yeelep (Reply 1):
That said , the slide on a 737 could possibly be used as a flotation device by cutting it away from the girt bar.

Evacuation slides (that are not side/rafts) can generally be easily detached to use as a flotation device without the need to cut the girt. For the 737 series it is simply a matter of lifting the girt flap and pulling the white separation handle. (Even though it is not a slide/raft, it still has this feature). The slide will remained attached via a mooring line that can be detached or cut.

You can see this illustrated in this safety card (it is not normally shown on most cards): http://cabinsafety.com/samples/airliners/73m.html

Many carriers will recommend to their crew to flip the flotation slide around since there is the center of the upside down slide is actually big enough to put passengers who need serious assistance (e.g. children) in it. The slide is actually pretty buoyant despite not being a slide/raft.

You can actually see a cabin crew training video here on the slide's (not slide/raft) ability to keep people afloat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ym-d8O6I8w
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!