novice

The Intermediate Approach

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:44 pm

"Maximum use should be made of the Flight Director, Auto Pilot and PDCS/FMC. Radio aids should be tuned and identified as early as possible by both pilots. Close attention must be paid to speed schedules and bank angle limitations.

Holding patterns will normally be in accordance with ICAO procedures. The non-handling pilot must closely monitor the approach and make the standard call-outs.

During the approach, both pilots should include the radio altimeter in their instrument scan. During a planned ILS approach both Pilot’s Flight Directors should be in use before leaving 1500ft AAL and with heading selections and mode settings matched. During a planned automatic approach the Flight Director and Auto Pilot progress displays must indicate LOC and GS capture before leaving 1500ft AAL."

"During a planned ILS approach both Pilot’s Flight Directors should be in use before leaving 1500ft AAL and with heading selections and mode settings matched."

In this instance above could anyone tell me what the "mode settings matched" is referring to?

Cheers

tb727

RE: The Intermediate Approach

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:41 pm

I am assuming it means if you are flying a coupled ILS with the Flight Director, you want to make sure that LOC/NAV and Glideslope are lit up amber and then green for captured on both the Autopilot and Flight Director progress display showing what is selected on the autopilot and FD are indeed what is showing. I'll look for a pic. Disclaimer: This is for old school Boeing aircraft.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

CosmicCruiser

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Quoting Novice (Thread starter):
In this instance above could anyone tell me what the "mode settings matched" is referring to?

Depending on a/c it's referring to NAV, HDG, ILS, LOC modes.

Pihero

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 pm

The idea is to allow cross-monitoring of both FDs and the AP
IUn this instance both pilots would have the same mode on their FDs matching the AP setting.>. here before leaving 15600 ft - ie the final fix altitude, I presume- the AP mode is in ILS approach and the FDs show LOC and G/S capture andthe ATHR mode is compatible with the approach.
As previous posters have said, the annunciations are aircraft-specific, but the idea is there.
Contrail designer

novice

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting Pihero (Reply 3):

So what your doing there is making sure that the AP is following the FD?

ATHR mode

ATHR Mode?

tdscanuck

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Quoting Novice (Reply 4):

So what your doing there is making sure that the AP is following the FD?

Not exactly, although you should monitor that too. Each PFD shows the currently engaged autoflight lateral, vertical, and speed control modes. You want to make sure that both sides show the same thing, otherwise the autopilots aren't in sync with each other and something is wrong.

Quoting Novice (Reply 4):
ATHR Mode?

Autothrottle or autothrust...it means the automation is controlling airplane speed, rather than the pilot moving the thrust levers manually.

Tom.